cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member
Solved

How can quickbooks automatically autofill the transaction memo to the detail line memo?

How can quickbooks automatically autofill the transaction memo to the detail line memo?

If the Transaction Memo line is not the exact same data as the Detail line memo, the transaction WILL NOT print in a report.. it gets left out.

How do I AUTOFILL the Transaction memo with the Detail Line memo with the same data?

I can't find any options in 'preferences'.

Thanks,

Autofill QB Memo .jpg

Best answer 04-15-2019 08:36 PM

Accepted Solutions
QuickBooks Team

Re: How can quickbooks automatically autofill the transaction memo to the detail line memo?

I appreciate your prompt response, @DS57.

Let me provide some clarifications about your screen name here in the Community.

Do you have another QuickBooks Online account? If so, this can be the reason why you have a different screen name upon posting the question into this thread. QuickBooks will base the interaction according to the account used for a specific question. However, you still have the option to change your user name attached on your account. 

These details should brighten up your day.

I'll be around if you have any other concerns with QuickBooks. Just let me know by leaving a reply below. Take care.

7 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: How can quickbooks automatically autofill the transaction memo to the detail line memo?

Hi there, DS57.

You can memorize a check transaction to autofill both detail line and transaction memo. This way, QuickBooks automatically creates the check and you can also manually change other details in the transaction.

Here's how:

1. Click Banking on the top menu.
    2. Choose Write Checks.
    3. From the Edit menu, select Memorize Check.

4. Enter a Name for the memorized transaction, then choose how you want QuickBooks to handle the transaction.

• Add to my Reminders List: The transaction will be added to the Memorized Transactions section of your Reminders list. When you choose this option, fill in the How Often field.
  • Do Not Remind Me: The transaction will not be added to your Reminders list or added automatically. You can use this as an "as needed" template for transactions that repeat from time to time.
  • Automate Transaction Entry: The transaction will be automatically entered once it's due. When you choose this option, remember to fill in the How Often and Next Date fields.

5. Enter any other necessary info in the Memorize Transaction window, then click OK.
    6. If you're only entering the transaction information for future use, select Clear and close the window.

7. Click Save & Close or Save & Next to record the memorized transaction now.

For more details about creating a memorized transaction, you can check out this article: Create, edit, or delete memorized transactions.

Please reply to this post if you have additional questions. Thanks!

Experienced Member

You answer assumes I want to memorize this check/transaction.  I don't.

The checks in question are separate and different check entries with different data each time.

When I enter the Transaction memo, I just want it to autofill to the Detail line memo, in every account I have.. and, I have about 8 checking account and 1 credit card account.

QuickBooks Team

Thank you for getting back to us, @DS57.

Allow me to chime in for a moment and share some insights about the Memo fields on the check.

Currently, the option to auto-fill the check transaction memo to the detail line memo is unavailable. You can manually enter or copy and paste the info to ensure they match and be printed.

We make sure to take note and address all feedback for QuickBooks Desktop as possible as we can. For now, you can check the Help articles for QuickBooks Desktop as your reference about Desktop.

Thank you for being a part of our QuickBooks family. You can post again or leave a comment if you have any other concern. I'm always here to help. 

Established Member

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it.

That’s what I figured, that this option is not available.

That’s what I do, as per your reply, I copy and paste the transaction memo line into the detail memo line.  

The sad part is that because this autofill option is not available, if I don’t enter the detail line manually,  and, the exact copy of the transaction  memo line, this check/transaction won’t show up in a report, it gets omitted. 

This is obviously a bug and I wish it would be fixed.

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for letting me know about this, @loginsucks.

Allow me to chime into this conversation and provide additional information about entering the detail line on the memo field of your checks in QuickBooks Desktop.

The information that will reflect on your reports is based on the details that you've entered on your transactions. However, our product developers are constantly working to improve the product and appreciates the help of users in bringing things like this to their attention. I've already taken note of your request and will update you once this information is available for our users.

To learn more about reports in QuickBooks Desktop, you may read through this article: Understand reports.

I'd encourage you to visit the What's New section on your QuickBooks Desktop regularly to keep updated with our latest news and updates including product improvements that would be beneficial for you and your business.

To do that:

1. Click on Help at the top menu bar.
  2. Select on New Features.
  3. Choose What's New.

whats new.PNG

This information should get you moving today.

Don't hesitate to post again if you have any other questions concerning QuickBooks. I'd be pleased to help you out. Have a great day.

Experienced Member

Hi, 

My screen name when I joined is DS57.. 

My profile says my screen name is DS57.

So, why am I referred by you as "loginsucks"?

How do I get rid of that name? I never choose it!!

What is this about?

Please help

DS

QuickBooks Team

I appreciate your prompt response, @DS57.

Let me provide some clarifications about your screen name here in the Community.

Do you have another QuickBooks Online account? If so, this can be the reason why you have a different screen name upon posting the question into this thread. QuickBooks will base the interaction according to the account used for a specific question. However, you still have the option to change your user name attached on your account. 

These details should brighten up your day.

I'll be around if you have any other concerns with QuickBooks. Just let me know by leaving a reply below. Take care.