cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hea2
Level 1

How do I add a new expense category to the chart of accounts?

29 Comments 29
MichelleT

Hi there hea,

I can help you add a new expense category to the Chart of Accounts. The steps are simple and easy to follow. Here's how:

1. Click Accounting on the left panel.
  2. Click the New button at the top right.
  3. Select the Category Type (Expenses or Other Expenses).
  4. Select the Detail Type (see the description below to help you select the right type).
  5. Enter the Name.
  6. Description is optional.
  7. Click Save and Close.

I've added screenshots for you to see the steps.

If you need further help working in QuickBooks Chart of Accounts, I'm here to help.

mary-putman
Level 1

What is the detail types don't apply.  I'm trying to add a category for education/training expenses
bgraciepeanuts
Level 1

I have the same question, and using QB online version
overthehillancho
Level 1

Same question. How do you add a new "detail type" ?
rprio
Level 1

This feature does not work. I urgently need to create a new expense category in my QBO account and it won't open a "New" window when I click new as described above. I'm running macOS High Sierra v10.13.3
kennysipes
Level 2

Only works for me in the Online version in a web browser. Option does not work in the app on my mac.
Not applicable

I am also struggling with the feature not working for me. The drop down arrow next to 'new' only shows import.  How do I get more options in the drop down menu?
(On a Mac with the most up to date date OS if you need this info.)
Not applicable

update: logged in through my browser rather than the app and the drop down menu gave me the additional options.
rprio
Level 1

Yes, it only works within a web browser. The app on a mac does not work. Use safari or chrome and it will let you create a new expense category. Quickbooks should fix this issue on the app ASAP.
sajara
Level 2

still not fixed -- cannot add category in app. WTH?
texasphoto
Level 1

Is this possible in the QB SELF-EMPLOYED to create a new expense category name??? 

AlcaeusF

Greetings, texasphoto.

I'm here to share some details about adding a new expense category in QuickBooks Self-Employed.

Right now, you can only use the default categories available in the Self-Employed version. Since adding or customizing a category is unavailable, I encourage you to send feedback.

Our product development team reviews all the feedback we receive to ensure we meet what works best for your business. You can visit the article below for more details about categories:

Custom categories in QuickBooks Self-Employed

You can send your product suggestion or feedback through the link below:

https://selfemployed.uservoice.com/forums/242769-general

If you need any assistance concerning your Category question, let me know. I'll be sure to get back to you.

Dawn Q
Level 1

Hi.  I have the self employed version of QB.  Is it possible to set up new expense categories in this version or do I need to upgrade to a different version?

Thanks.

DQ

Joyce_P
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, Dawn Q.

Setting up new expense categories is currently not available in QuickBooks Self-employed.

I suggest sending feedback to our engineers. This way, they can consider adding it to their new update release.

You can submit your feedback here:  https://selfemployed.uservoice.com/forums/242769-general.

Let me know if you have other questions. Have a great day!

Semantic
Level 1

Hey Joyce, 

We have Quickbooks Online version (and not Quickbooks Self Employed like the previous comments). Are we able to create a custom field in Expense? And also the Detail Type under Expense? 

Your prompt response is favored. Thank you! 

ShiellaGraceA
QuickBooks Team

I'd like to step in, Semantic.

In creating an expense account, adding a custom field is unavailable. It is also not available in the detail type section. You'll want to use the Description field.

You can check out this QuickBooks tutorial about editing Chart of Accounts: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/tutorials/lessons/edit-chart-of-accounts/.

Leave a comment below if you have further questions. We're here to help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In your previously published remarks, you mention "click on accounting on the left panel."  Where does it say "accounting"?  I can not find it anywhere.

Sz

Charies_M

Hello there, Sierrasz.

Thanks for joining this thread. I'm here to help you sort things out.

I just want to verify what type of QuickBooks version are you using so I can provide an accurate solution. It's possible that you're using different version of QuickBooks reason why you cannot see the Accounting tab option.

If your subscribe to QuickBooks Online (QBO), your browser's cache can be the reason why you're not seeing the Accounting tab on the left panel of your QuickBooks Online (QBO). To isolate this, some browser issues. To resolve it, I have some troubleshooting steps that should work for you.

To start, let's try using a private browser to isolate the issue. The steps vary per browser used:

• Google Chrome: press Ctrl + Shift + N
  • Mozilla Firefox: press Ctrl + Shift + P
  • Internet Explorer: press Ctrl + Shift + P
  • Safari: press Command + Shift + N

If you're able to see the Accounting option after using a private browser, you can switch back to the regular browser (Ctrl + N) then clear your browser's cache.

Here's an article to help you clear the cache: Clear the temporary Internet files and cache.

If it doesn't work, try using a different browser.

I'd appreciate any additional information that you can provide. I'll be around in the Community if you need more help. 

jeepgirl24
Level 1

So they can make complex tax and accounting software and additionally added categories in all other types of QB except the self employed one? It takes them 3+ months to research this issue and try to find a solution? Just make the option to add categories to self-employed already!!! We can make it under one of the schedule C subcategories. I don't even want it for my schedule C, I want it for the personal side that is not reported on a schedule C. Please at the very least allow categories to be added to the personal side.

RaymondJayO

Hello there, jeepgirl24, 

I'm taking note of your suggestion about adding custom categories to your personal transactions in QuickBooks Self-Employed (QBSE). I can see the importance of this feature to your self-employed business. With this, I'll make sure to submit this directly to our Product Development Team. They can consider it for future enhancements. 

Additionally, we preserve the integrity of the categories in the Schedule C. This ensures your estimated taxes are reported accurately. To learn more about the different categories and how they appear on various reports, check out this website: Schedule C Categories

I'd also suggest visiting this website: QBSE Blog. You can view our product innovations in this link. 

You can count me in if there's anything else you need. Take care always, jeepgirl24. 

EBM
Level 1

I am self employed and have bought a new truck which I believe I can claim VAT back on.  I use the basic version of Quickbooks on line.  I have been told I need to put the purchase under the category "Motor Vehicles, additions for year" but I don’t have that listed.  I have found out how to add a category (under Accounting / New) but I have no idea what I need to fill in in the following fields:-

Account type:
Detail type:
Name:
Description:

Can you help please?  Thanks.

SimoniM
Level 1

Is it possible to set up custom category names yet? 

SimoniM
Level 1

Is it possible to set up a custom expense category? The few they have are okay but it needs to be broken down way more for syncing to turbo tax purposes. 

RenjolynC
QuickBooks Team

I'll share the details about categories, SimoniM.

It is convenient to have the ability to categorize transactions the way you'd like. At the moment, we're unable to add a custom category. You can check this article for reference: Custom categories in QuickBooks Self-Employed.

QuickBooks Self-Employed has provided categories based on IRS Schedule C. You'll want to check this article for the updated categories: Updates to expense categories in QuickBooks Self-Employed.

Please feel free to add a reply on this thread if you need something else. Take care and stay safe.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us