cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NealRM
Level 4

How do I add in a convenience fee for paying by credit card?

I want the fee to only be present if they pay be credit card.
112 Comments 112
DarellA
QuickBooks Team

Thank you for posting in the Community, @NealRM.

Currently, the ability to add a convenience fee for paying by credit card is not available in QuickBooks Online.

As a workaround, you would need to create a service item for the credit card convenience fee and manually add it as a line item on your customer's invoice to indicate the fee. Let me show you how.

1. Go to the Gear icon
  2. Choose Products and Services
  3. Click the New button
  4. Select Service
  5. Enter the name of the of the service item. 
  6. Put a check mark on “I sell this product/service to my customers.” 
  7. Choose an expense account (for example Other Expenses) from the Income account drop-down. 
  8. Click Save and Close.

Here’s how to add the service item on the invoice:

1. On the create invoice page, click Add line.
  2. From the Product or Service drop-down column, choose the charge convenience fee you created. 
  3. Click Save and Close.

In the meantime, you can visit QBO Blog to learn about the new updates being rolled out by Intuit.

Feel free to post again if you have other concerns. I’m always willing to help.

NealRM
Level 4

How would that work if they wanted to pay be check? I don't know when I send out the invoice if they will choose to send a check or pay by credit card. I only want the charge there is they pay be CC.

Also, on step 6, there is no "I sell this product/service to my customers." stop to check.

NealRM
Level 4

Based on another reply, it appear that this is another thing that quickbooks can't do. It's a rather common item, don't know why this feature isn't present. 

Malcolm Ziman
Level 10

It's not automated.  Add the fee manually on the invoice, after a sub-total,  on a new line, and in the email message, notify them if they pay by ACH,  then they must fill in the lower amount, when they enter the payment amount.   Then delete the extra line, once they've paid

NealRM
Level 4

Thanks for the reply. That would work for if you have a very limited number of invoices. But I send out a few hundred. So manually adding and removing lines on the invoice would triple my workload. In addition, it would confuse many of my clients. So it's not a solution that would work for my business.

Malcolm Ziman
Level 10

@NealRM wrote:

Thanks for the reply. That would work for if you have a very limited number of invoices. But I send out a few hundred. So manually adding and removing lines on the invoice would triple my workload. In addition, it would confuse many of my clients. So it's not a solution that would work for my business.

So you will have to find another provider that does allow this, although it may not exist because it is illegal in some states apparently

HoneyLynn_G
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for providing your feedback, @NealRM.

As mentioned, the option to automatically add an inconvenience fee is unavailable right now. You can follow the recommendations given by my colleague and the Established Community Backer. Another suggestion I can provide is utilizing the Recurring Transaction feature.

I want to let you know that we're taking note of your feedback and suggestions to improve the experience we're providing. For now, you can use the following links as your reference when navigating QuickBooks:

Let me know how it goes or if you have any follow-up questions. I'll be here if you need further assistance. Have a good one.

NealRM
Level 4

Just to add a little background on this. Six state had/have bans on the practice. The ban have been struck down in state and federal courts. Even the SC issued a ruling that had the effect of nullifying New York law. Due to the ruling I would be surprised if any of those states are actively enforcing the ban at this time and it is only a matter of time before they are removed from the books.

scottt74480324
Level 1

The problem with the solution proposed by DarellA 

Kristine Mae

I know how convenient is it to have an option to automatically add the fee, Scottt74480324. Although, the answer by DarellA is the only way to add this fee for now.

What I can do is take note of your concern and share it with our management team. This will be submitted to our product developers for assessment. This feature might be added in future updates.

I'll also add an article about how to enter late fees or finance and service charges on invoices as a future reference. 

You're always welcome to visit us if ever you need our help. We'd be happy to lend a hand. 

ShariceL
Level 1

This is currently in beta testing.  The bad news is, it's only available for some clients.  But hopefully they will make it a permanent feature.

rmitche2
Level 2

One way that QB does allow is under Customer, Payment Settings, Price Level. Typically used to give special discount pricing, it can also be used to increase price by percentage. For instance, you can create a "Transaction Fee" (or, if you prefer, ADM) price level and assign a fixed percentage to everything, or on an item-by-item basis. That way, every item pulled into an invoice is automatically increased by the percentage defined in the price group.

Eric99
Level 1

I really hope this makes it way to Quickbooks Online for all businesses to use. This is a real problem for small business owners and it is concerning Intuit is not out in front of this. Almost every small business will have this issue. Thank you..

MarsStephanieL
QuickBooks Team

Hi @Eric99.

We do our best to review and implement all requests but have to focus on those that have the largest impact. This request is being reviewed for consideration for future releases of QuickBooks. As we have new and relevant information, we will communicate that out.

Although we don't have a specific time frame as to when and how this will be implemented upon, rest assured that this is being looked into. That said, I'm making it my top priority that your feedback reaches our engineers and make them understand the urgency of this matter. After all, enhancements and improvements to QuickBooks functionalities are largely the results of feedback provided by users.

Feel free to visit the Community space if you have any other future concerns. Have a good day ahead!

srquestions
Level 1

How can one get added to the beta test?

Mark_R
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for posting here in the Community, @srquestions.

The customers that were added for the beta testing are selected randomly, most of them have grandfathered accounts of QuickBooks. You consider posting your request from one of our forum called Intuit Developers.

You can directly post your request through this link: https://help.developer.intuit.com/s/.

As always, feel free to visit our QuickBooks Community help website if you need tips and related articles in the future.

Please keep in touch if there's anything else I can do to help you succeed with QuickBooks. I've got your back. Have a great day.

BayArchitect
Level 2

We are an architecture firm.  We have multiple engineers under our contracts. When a client decides to pay with a credit card, it ends up being a 6-10% hit to us because we cannot pass that fee downhill.  Some of our Billings are $70k and that is a huge loss for us.  Add the cc fee paid by customer and they will start using ACH.

btw:  Our state and local municipalities charge a convenience fee.  DMV, state licenses, etc. Our kids’ private school charges as well.  What makes them special?  Are they above the law?

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

imhere2day
Level 3

Why do you allow the fee to be added for a credit card charge if I as a business email you the bill vs not allowing this option if you pay me in person? Both are with a credit card. Is there something I am missing? Why is the in person feature not available? 

NealRM
Level 4

This post is now over a year old. In that time Quickbooks has added advertising to the software, links to business loans, "live accounting services" and other for sale items. Basically items that they can sell but really few small business care about. This fee is a high impact item, but one that Quickbook can't really sell. thus the priority on this is close to zero. Unless users state they are moving over to other solutions because of it, I don't expect to see it added to the software.

Don't mistake this as saying the Quickbooks shouldn't make a profit, they should. That is part of running a business. My issue is that they are placing making a profit well ahead of customer service.

PHS2020
Level 1

Correct me if I am wrong but adding the fee in this fashion increases the amount of the invoice which in turn increases the amount of the service fee that QB charges, right? 

JamesDuanT

Hello PHS2020,

Yes, the invoice amount will increase when you add the service fee as an item. You're letting the customer pay the fee on your behalf. You can use this link for reference: Add service fees manually to invoices.

Feel free to get back to us if you have additional questions about the responses on this thread. Have a great day!

CryinOutLoud
Level 1

I agree. So being QB is ill equipped, how are we suppose to charge a set convenience fee when a customer pays by credit card other that send out a new invoice? Even then, they'll most likely pay by credit card and we will be behind the curve again due to the same problem. So frustrating and unbelievable! 

CryinOutLoud
Level 1

I suggest you not only take note of these complaints but IMMEDIATELY FIX the problem with an update to the software. On your coders end of things, this is a common financial fee with online invoicing. If the fee is illegal in some states, that wouldn't be a difficult thing to code into the software either. Be on the cutting edge QuickBooks, as you will lose your customer base that needs this service quickly.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us