Did you mean: 
hr4
Level 1

How do I merge a contractor.

8 Comments 8
john-pero
Community Champion

To merge two names that are on the same list: rename the one exactly same same as the other and accept the merge prompt.

Left banner, Expenses, Vendors, select vendor. Pencil icon to edit.

Black Ink Dan
Level 2

That doesn't work for me. I get the message that I already have someone by that name so I need to add a middle initial. No prompts to merge.

Mark_R
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @Black Ink Dan.

john-pero's answer should help you merge two names successfully. I'd be glad to walk you through the detailed steps so you'll be able to merge the names.

When merging two names, you'll need to make it similar to the contractor you're merging it with. Here's how:

1. From the left menu, click Expenses.
  2. Choose the Vendors tab.
  3. Select the name of the contractor, then click Edit.
  4. Make sure to change the Title, First name, Middle name, and the Last name that similar to the contractor you're merging it with.
  5. Ensure that the Display Name is also the same.
  6. Click Save.
  7. Hit Yes to confirm the merge prompt.

I've got you an article for your reference: How to Merge Accounts, Customers, and Vendors.

In case you need tips and related articles in the future, visit our QuickBooks Community help website for reference: QBO Self-help.

That's it! Don't hesitate to let me know if you have other concerns about merging names. I'll be around if you need any help.

tfcnyc
Level 1

I am having the same issue. Neither recommendation here works.

tfcnyc
Level 1

Neither of these recommendations work for me.

JoesemM

Hello there, @tfcnyc.

Ideally, you should be able to merge your contractors by following the steps shared by my colleague above. Since you're unable to do so, I'd suggest logging into your QBO account via an incognito window. This feature doesn't use the existing cache files, which makes it a good place to determine if there's an issue with the browser. 

Here are the keyboard shortcuts: 

• Safari: Command + Shift + N 
  • Google Chrome: CTRL + Shift + N
  • Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Edge: CTRL + Shift + P 

Once signed in, go back to the Expenses menu and merge the contractors from there. If it works, let's clear the cache of your main browser. This helps remove its stored cache so it'll function efficiently.

However, if private browsing doesn't work, I recommend using different browsers. For more details, see this article's Supported browsers section: System Requirements For QBO

For more details on how to merge your contractors, check out this article: How to merge accounts,customers, and vendors.

Also, may I ask if you encounter any errors while merging your contractors? Any additional information is highly appreciated.

In case you need to prepare and file your Federal 1099s, I'm adding this article for you:  Prepare and file 1099s.

You can always post your questions here if you need anything else. Take care!

mconnex
Level 1

I have followed all of the above directions, including the incognito window, and I do not get the prompt to merge contacts. I simply get an error message that tells me the vendor name is already being used. Please advise!

Nicole_N
QuickBooks Team

It's good to know you've followed the steps provided by my colleagues above, @mconnex. I'm here to ensure you can merge a contractor in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

Upon checking our database, we have an ongoing investigation of the error "Another Vendor is already using this name. Please use a different name" when merging a vendor. This means that other users are experiencing the same issue on their end. Please know that the product engineering team is already aware and working on finding a permanent fix as soon as possible. 

For now, I suggest contacting our Phone Support team so you'll be added to the list of affected users. This way, you'll receive an email once there's a resolution. Here's how you can contact them:

1. Go to the Help icon in the top right-hand corner.
  2. Select Search, then press the Contact Us button.
  3. Enter your question in the box and hit Continue.
  4. Please choose the best way you'll want to reach out to us.

Be sure to review their support hours so you'll know when agents are available.

Moreover, you can run several reports to view vendor lists. You can also customize it to focus on the information that matters most to you.

If there's anything else that I can help you with managing vendors in QuickBooks, never hesitate to leave a reply. The Community team is always around to help. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us