cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rsummers31
Level 1

How do I record Customer Payment Credit Card charges expense?

10 Comments 10
Regina_Lend_A_Hand_Accounting
Level 9

1. Receive the customer invoice payment to "Undeposted Funds" and NOT the Bank Account

2. Go to Plus symbol, "Bank Deposit" and "Add funds to this deposit" entering expense account and amount of credit card expense (negative amount) to reduce the deposit to the actual amount received

3. Make the deposit to the account the deposit was received in, then match it in the bank feed

Rose-A

Good to see you here in the Community, rsummers31.

I'd be happy to help with entering your credit card charges in QuickBooks Online.

To record these charges, you'll need to create a deposit transaction and record the expense in a negative amount.

Here's how:

1. Click the Plus icon (+) at the top.
  2. Under Others, click Bank Deposits.
  3. Enter the deposit. Under Account, choose Credit Card Fees.
  4. Enter a negative amount, under Amount.
  5. Click Save and close.

As always, you can contact our customer care agents if you'd like someone to be with you as you go through these steps. They can pull up your account in a secure environment and assist you further. To reach us, please follow these steps:

1. Sign in to your QuickBooks Online Company.
  2. Click (?) Help at the upper right corner.
  3. At the bottom, click on Contact us.
  4. Type in your concern then hit Continue.

Should you need further assistance with recording these transactions, please let me know. Have a good one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you get it to apply to the invoice though?

MariaSoledadG
QuickBooks Team

Hi aethen,

You can add a line item with a negative value when creating a deposit for the credit card charge.

Here's how:

1. Click + New.
  2. Select Bank Deposit.
  3. Under the Add funds to this deposit section, fill in the necessary information such as the Received From, Account and Amount.
  4. Click Save and close.

Please check this article for future reference: Income and Expenses.

As always, let us know if you have any other concerns. I'll be around to help.

Manke
Level 1

Is there a video on this?

AileneA
QuickBooks Team

Hello, Manke. 

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. You can refer to this link for full video tutorial on recording deposit payment in QuickBooks Online.  

If there’s anything else I can help you further in QuickBooks, post a comment below. I’m here ready to assist further. Have a good one.

Book_Keepers
Level 1

Trying to delete this post, which was a duplicate. No delete button.

Book_Keepers
Level 1

That video is not available.  :-/

I need help with revising a customer payment after a credit card fee was removed from the total payment; I need to properly enter that fee so that customer balance is zero and the fee will be allocated to our "bank service fees" expense account, which is already in COA. I have also already setup an Item for credit card service fees, if necessary.

Thank you so much.

Book_Keepers
Level 1

PS: I am on QB desktop, NOT QBO.

ReymondO
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for joining the thread and adding a clarification, @Book_Keepers.

Are you using QuickBooks Payments in when processing customer payments in the program? If yes, the option edit online payments is unavailable in QuickBooks Desktop.

As a workaround, we can edit the invoice itself and match it to the downloaded payments.

Since you've already created a services fee item, let's use it reduce your invoice total amount. That way, we can zero out your customer's balance. Here's how:

1. Go to the Customers menu and select Customers Center
  2. Click the name of the customer, then look for the invoice and double-click it to open.
  3. Add the credit card service fee item on the last line of the invoice. Make sure to enter it as a negative amount.
  4. Review again the transaction. When you're done, click Save and close .

This should now match your invoice and customer payment. 

Please also take note that we can't add another line item in the Customer Payment window. If you want to change it, you'll have to delete it. Then, recreate the actual invoice and make sure to add the processing fee. After that, receive again the payment to correct your records. 

To see the complete list of workflows and other customer-related transactions, please check out our Accounts Receivable workflows.

Please let me know if you need further assistance in handling customer payments. We'll be here to guide you with the process. Have good one.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us