robert4
Level 1

How do I show split transaction details in reports

54 Comments 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi robert,

In QuickBooks Online, Transaction List with Splits is a report that'll show split transactions. Here's how to pull up this report:

1. Go to Reports
  2. Type Transaction List with Splits in the search bar.
  3. Change the Report period.
  4. Click on Run report.

On the other hand, adding the splits in the Transaction Detail by Account report would be a great idea. I recommend sending this idea as a product suggestion. Please click on the Gear icon and select Feedback.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm here to help you. 

Suezew
Level 2

I'm using Desktop 2018 Accountant Edition.  In the Report Center I don't see the Transaction List with Splits.  It doesn't come up in the search.  Which section will it be in? Please help.
slamphere
Level 1

did you ever get a response? I need the same report.

FritzF

Hi, @slamphere.

Pleased to see you here in the Community. I can help pull up the report that you need in QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT).

The Transaction List with Splits report that my colleague provided is only available in QuickBooks Online (QBO). But I have good news for you. QBDT has a report that can also pull up split transactions which is the Transaction List by Customer report. All you need to do is customize the report and add the Split column.

Here's how:

1. Go to Reports menu at the top menu.
2. On the drop-down, choose Customers & Receivables, then Transaction List by Customer.
3. Click Customize Report on the upper left.
4. On the Display tab, enter Split under Columns and put a checkmark beside the result.
5. Once done, select OK.

You may also check out these screenshots below.

For future reference, you can visit this article for more information on how to customize reports in QBDT: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1764375.

That should do it! Please don't hesitate to leave a comment below if you have follow up questions or if I can be of further assistance. I'm always here to help. Have a great day.

MikeGPRentals
Level 2

I have tried your solution, however this does not solve my problem. I was hoping the actual splits would be displayed, but the description in the split column just says "-SPLIT-".

MikeGPRentals
Level 2

I tried this solution, however it does not solve my problem. I was hoping to actual display the spits in separate line items, but the split column just displays "-SPLIT-"

AldrinS
QuickBooks Team

Hey there, MikeGPRentals.

It's nice to hear from you again. I just wanted to hop in and provide additional clarification about the report you're trying to create.

At this time, there isn't a report that displays your transactions for a specific period, including the actual splits. You could always use the Transaction Journal. However, that would only show you the splits of one transaction.

It sounds like a great report and I can see how adding it in QuickBooks would help you, and others, get a good look at the accuracy of your books. Rest assured, I'm going to submit a feature request from my side, which is sent to the Product Development Team. They're constantly looking for great ideas from users, like yourself, when deciding how to enhance QuickBooks Online.

Please let me know what else I can do to help you today. Thanks for coming to the Community, wishing you continued success in all that you do.

ken356911
Level 1

maybe too late to help, but quickbooks have added a feature that addresses this is

although it is in a far from obvious place...

Under Reports,  

. click the ‘standard’ tab,

. scroll down to ‘for the accountant’,  

. click ‘GL summary (beta)’,

. select the dates you want as the report period, and other options

. run the report,

. click on any amount, subtotal or total in any column to drill down to the transactions comprising the amount

VOILA! You are presented with a report showing the transactions including the split descriptions

Brian85248
Level 2

Thanks Ken,

The solution you outlined again only shows the split detail once a specific split transaction is drilled into. I am looking for a GL report (on QB Premier 2018 Desk Top version) that provides the split detail within the report itself (without having to drill into individual transactions in order to obtain it (my reason for this is because I download the GL into a spreadsheet, and need the individual account activity. Any suggestions?

BettyJaneB
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @Brian85248.

Thanks for joining the Community today. Allow me to join this thread and provide you with some more details about pulling up split transaction reports in QuickBooks Desktop.

Being able to pull up a General Ledger report that provides the split detail within the report itself is currently not an option for us. To view an individual account's activity you'll need to pull up each transaction manually.

To learn more about the available reports that you can pull up in QuickBooks Desktop, please visit this article: Customize reports in QuickBooks Desktop.

Also, I'd encourage checking the What's New option on your QuickBooks to be updated with the product improvements that would be beneficial for you and your business. 

To do that:

1. Click on Help at the top menu bar.
  2. Select on New Features.
  3. Choose What's New.

fb1.PNG

This information should get you moving today.

Feel free to reach back out to me if you have any other questions about pulling up reports or anything about QuickBooks. I'll be around to lend a helping hand. Have a nice day ahead!

1WSCUBA
Level 1

HELP!  I need to convert a .qbb to the online version.  Can you help with that?

IamjuViel
QuickBooks Team

Hello, @1WSCUBA.

QBB is a file extension for a backup file format used by Quickbooks desktop.

There is no way to directly import QBB file to QuickBooks Online (QBO).

You'll need QuickBooks desktop version to restore this backup company file.

You can use our trial links to open the backup file, then export the file from there.

Here's how to export the file:

1. Restore the backup copy.
  2. Click the Company menu.
  3. Choose Export Company File to QuickBooks Online.
  4. Follow the prompts so you can connect to the Online version.

Feel free to leave your comments below if you have other questions. I'm always here to help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello-

Has there been any discussion of adding this feature (breaking out the -SPLIT- data)?  This is a consistent issue that I run into and it looks like I'm far from alone.  This seems like it would be a pretty quick and easy upgrade for QB Desktop.

Joshua R
QuickBooks Team

Hey there, @Anonymous.

I hope your week is going well. I'll give you some insight into splitting transaction details in reports.

In QuickBooks Desktop, this feature is not currently available. I'll go ahead and submit feedback to our product developers so the option can be possible in future updates.

Have a great week, reply to this thread if you have any other questions I can assist with.

ChelseaKay
Level 1

Would also love this to be an option. Currently we have to open each split, which renders the report overall absolutely useless. Please please please make this an option. I can't imagine it being terribly difficult since I can see splits when I run my unpaid bills report before printing checks . It show's each charge in full and then the breakdown of each split. Please make this available through all the reports. 

Desktop_Rocks
Level 1

I used QB desktop and I'd also love to see this report.  

Desktop_Rocks
Level 1

I would also like very much to see this as a report.  Thank you

BadFish
Level 1

Yes, I would also like to see this as an option! It would be extremely beneficial when auditing multiple loans.

Piedrito
Level 1

Yes, this is quite surprising that for something so easy that isn't possible.  Anyone use any of the other software companies and know if they do it?

JanelleBrook
Level 1

I have found a way to get a report showing the splits. 

Reports> Custom Reports > Transaction Detail

Then I filter down this report by transaction type and it shows me the splits. Hope that might help you! 

workerbea
Level 1

The split column just says split...no help.  Quickbooks is so much more difficult than Sage

workerbea
Level 1

This is why Quickbooks sucks

Lisa galvin
Level 4

Agree this is an important report that would be very helpful.  However, I doubt there will be any fix, Intuit does not seem to be able to do anything for accountants using desktop versions.  I feel like in the last few weeks I have had more irritation and inadequate responses about what this product doesn't do - multi state payroll, proper exporting to excel, statement writer only used with old versions of excel.  It is really unfortunate.

Michael Yang
Level 1

Here is how to display Split Item in a report:

1. go to "Customize Report"

2. under "Filters" Tab, Find "CURRENT FILTER CHOICES" box on the right. In that box, find "Detail Level" option and click on that.

3. on the detail level, select " ALL" or "All except summary"

after that, all the split item should display in the report

Need to get in touch?

Contact us