Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to edit an invoice after receiving a payment

How do I edit an invoice after it has been paid
4 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: How to edit an invoice after receiving a payment

Hi there, @jflowers.

I'm here to help edit invoices after receiving a payment.

If you'll edit/change the amount of the invoice, you can open the invoice you wish to edit and make the necessary edits from there. Once done, the invoice will just show the balance due and the amount of payment made. Just a heads-up that editing invoices after receiving the payment will affect some reports in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

To open the invoice:

1. Go to Sales at the left pane.
  2. Select Invoices.
  3. Select the invoice you wanted to edit.
  4. Click the drop-down arrow under Action.
  5. Select View/Edit.
  6. Make the necessary edits in the Invoice page.

Once done, the invoice will show the balance due and the amount of payment at the upper right corner of the Invoice page.Don't hesitate to add a comment if you have any other concerns about invoices, I'm always here to help. Have a good one!

Highlighted
Super Explorer ***

How come on I'm not able to edit the anything on the invoice? is it because I turned on progress invoicing? It only allows me to select percent or amount of already pre-selected amount  that was carried over from the estimate.

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, Vitan.

You can edit an invoice even if the Progress Invoicing feature is enabled. Can you tell us if you're getting an error when editing the transaction? 

If you haven't already, please log in to QuickBooks using a different browser (Mozilla, Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer and Safari). Then, edit the invoice from there. A browser issue might have prevented you from editing the invoice.

Keep me posted if you have follow-up questions. I'll be around to help you again.

Super Contributor **

Hello jflowers,

I hope the answers you have gotten helped you out. However, I can contribute here a thing that you can also conduct a bulk editorial of your invoices. There are some third party apps that are able to go about that task i.e. update your invoices, even paid ones.

You can have a list of invoices wrote down within the excel file stating their numbers and customers they belong to. Then put any data next to each Invoice you want to change your original data with. And make a 3-rd party app to parse that.

They app will know where data is referring to by parsing a mapping table that you need to set at a mapping step. Mapping process is the main part about such apps.  After you've done it - app knows where to pull your data to. It conducted in a way that you have to point out for the app where to take specfic data from within your file i.e. from what specific column of your file should it take it. Very interesting and also you will aquire a piece of programming knowledge in the process  - you will not get bored.

After you get used to it - you will be able do unbelievable things to your QuickBooks files in no time. I would suggest you using an app named Business Importer. They have online guides with screenshots and a happy support team that is eager to help you. If you decide to use the app - just ask them for an advice on how to go about this or then - this will be a great experience.