cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
laura9
Level 1

How to import pdf bank statements?

My bank only exports pdfs of my bank statements. I have a lot of expenses to log from the last year. What's the best way to import in to desktop quickbooks? 
30 Comments 30
abiolapharm
Level 1

how did this Money thumb work for you?
hectorgarciacpa
Level 4

for me works great.. if you have scanned statements, you must get the PLUS version..

https://www.moneythumb.com/converters-2quickbooks/?ref=1

Quickbpro
Level 1

Here is a video of the software that does the conversion
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://youtu.be/s-wbBTNVYBM">https://youtu.be/s-wbBTNVYBM</a>
Quickbpro
Level 1

There are to apps that could do this:
ScanWriter: any bank statements (even scanned) can be imported directly into QuickBooks
MoneyThumb PDF2QBO: only works with DIGITAL Bank statements and it will convert them to .QBO which have to be imported via bank feeds (2 steps)

I use both apps currently, and sometimes in combination.
Michelle-Long-CPA
Level 4

There are 3rd parties that will convert PDF bank statements into files to be imported into QB. Google it or check out a new one www.bankfeedme.com 

SkinnyRaven
Level 8

There is no import of .pdf files, your options are .iif and .qbo
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you can convert your PDF's to Excel, or download CSV or Excel files, then you can import using an IIF file. Use the IIF Transaction Creator to help you create the IIF for import file from your worksheet data.

DBL07-co
Level 1

Why Doesn't intuit make a way to import .pdf files since ALL BANKS export monthly statements in PDF? DBL07.co
StevePVB
Level 4

Most banks provide a QBO option for the QuickBooks download.  I can't even imagine the technical challenge of scanning/importing PDF files -- every bank has their own format.  Using the QBO file puts everything in a known format.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with Steve. I don't think importing data from PDF files would ever work as a feature.  PDF's are a nightmare to parse, and they're all different, and some don't even really contain text, but instead images of text.
It'd be like saying QB should handle "CSV" files, which have a similar issue in that they're all different, but at least they actually contain text.
DBL07-co
Level 1

My bank does "supply" quickbook downloads, but only for last 3 months and anything before that I have to pay for! As if they haven't got enough of my $
Michelle-Long-CPA
Level 4

My bank charges $6.95 for 12 months and $9.95 for 24 months.  It's not much and worth it so I can import things when needed.  At least they make it available whereas other banks do not.  3 months and that's it.
StevePVB
Level 4

At least you have an option to pay rather than manually entering last year data.  It would be a one-time expense and would save time.  Going forward you would just need to stay current.
seletit4
Level 1

ProperSoft PDF2QBO converts PDF to QBO files. Your will get free support before and after the purchase.

Lioness-15
Level 1

Convert to excel files then clean them up and convert the excel files to a .qbo file and import to quickbooks. I am using CSV to QBO converter and it works great saved a lot of time when I had 3 years of pdf bank statements.

Lioness-15
Level 1

I convert pdf to excel files using Adobe. Then clean them up a little and use a program called CSV to QBO converter you can find on line. I had 3 years of pdf bank statements and used this method.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Lioness-15,

We're glad to hear that you're able to convert the PDF file to CSV. Let me share with you an article on how to import a CSV file. Here it is: How To Import Bank Transactions Using Excel CSV Files.

Once you've imported the file, here's how toadd/categorize bank transactions

1. In the Banking page, click on the For Review tab.
  2. Select the transactions and click on Batch actions.
  3. Choose Accept Selected (for multiple transactions)/click on the Add button for single transaction.

If you need anything else, please let us know. We're here to help. 

mineola siding plus
Level 1

i need the same help

JenoP

Thanks for joining us here, mineola siding plus.

Do you still your bank statements in PDF? If so, you will need to convert them first to Excel or CSV.

You can follow the same steps or use the third-party apps recommend in the previous replies. Once you're file is converted, you can then import it in QuickBooks.

Let me know if you run into an error when importing the file so we can help you again.  

TransportZero
Level 1

Exactly! SMH

TransportZero
Level 1

I can't belive the only way to convert PDF bank Statments to QBO is by sending a sensitive bank statement to a 3rd parties Apps Converters. This is Disappointing!

modest hawking
Level 1

You can try https://www.docuclipper.com. It can extract text & tables from PDF documents and automatically create a Google Spreadsheet. It can also import PDF invoices into QuickBooks directly. 

hectorgarciacpa
Level 4

I use it all the time, works great

cmtcav420
Level 1

can you share this app with me for free?

cheers,

Need to get in touch?

Contact us