cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Established Member

How to record a claim check from UPS

Our customer received our product that was damaged in shipping. We replaced the product and filed a claim with UPS, who sent us a check. 

I need to know how to record the claim check in QB as the invoice was paid by the customer. If I create a new invoice it will charge sales tax again

1 Comment
QuickBooks Team

Re: How to record a claim check from UPS

Hello there, Mike_ASG.

I'm glad you've reached out to the QuickBooks Community. Let me help guide you on how to record a claim check from UPS in QuickBooks Desktop. 

First, you'll need to create a credit memo so you can create another invoice for the UPS. Here's how:

1. From the Customers menu, select Create Credit Memos/Refunds.
  2. From the Customer: Job drop-down, select the appropriate Customer.
  3. Enter the returned items in the line item area, then select Save & Close.
  4. On the Available Credit window, choose the Apply to an invoice. QuickBooks opens the Apply Credit to Invoices window where you can select an invoice to which you want to apply this credit.
  5. Select OK

Next, let's adjust the quantity of an inventory item in QuickBooks by following the steps in this article: Adjust inventory quantity or value

Lastly, you'll need make a deposit to record the amount paid by the UPS, and posting it to the account that you've used for the adjusting entry. To do this, you can visit this article the detailed steps on how to deposit customer payments

Once you've record these transactions, you can now create another invoice for the UPS. 

If you need further assistance  with the steps, I recommend contacting our QuickBooks Desktop Support Team. They have additional tools to pull up your account and do a remote session. 

Here's how you can contact our live support: 

1. Select QuickBooks Desktop Help from the Help menu.
  2. You can also press F1 on your keyboard to bring up the same Help Panel
  3. In order to route you to the correct support expert, we need to know what type of question you have.
  4. Click Continue.
  5. We’ll provide you a few options. You choose which one is best for you.

This will get you on the right track! Feel me in if you have additional questions. I'll be around to help. Wishing you and your business continued success.