cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TammyM12
Level 3

I can not find the sales tax liability report

Restored a recent backup copy of the client's QB to Version 19.  The sales tax liability report and other related tax reports are not available to view.  I use these reports monthly for this client.  How do I activate those reports and why would it change.  

Solved
Best answer April 18, 2019

Best Answers
AlexV
QuickBooks Team

Let's make sure that you turned on your sales tax, TammyM12.

The Sales tax liability report and other related reports won't appear if the sales tax option was turned off. Here's how to turn it on:

1. Go to Edit menu and select Preferences.
  2. From the pop-up, choose Sales Tax.
  3. On the Company Preferences tab, select Yes on the Do you charge sales tax?
  4. Hit OK.

Once done, go back to the Report Center and check to see if the sales tax liability report is already visible.

1. Go to Reports menu and select Reports Center.
  2. Choose Vendors & Payables.
  3. Select Sales Tax Liability.

For future reference, please check this article as your guide: How to resolve common sales tax issues.

For any other questions, you can reply on this thread. Have a great day!

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
AlexV
QuickBooks Team

Let's make sure that you turned on your sales tax, TammyM12.

The Sales tax liability report and other related reports won't appear if the sales tax option was turned off. Here's how to turn it on:

1. Go to Edit menu and select Preferences.
  2. From the pop-up, choose Sales Tax.
  3. On the Company Preferences tab, select Yes on the Do you charge sales tax?
  4. Hit OK.

Once done, go back to the Report Center and check to see if the sales tax liability report is already visible.

1. Go to Reports menu and select Reports Center.
  2. Choose Vendors & Payables.
  3. Select Sales Tax Liability.

For future reference, please check this article as your guide: How to resolve common sales tax issues.

For any other questions, you can reply on this thread. Have a great day!

TammyM12
Level 3

Thank you so much for your quick response.  Do you know why this would have been changed?  This client has always used sales tax.  Each month I receive a backup and sales tax has been active.  Client uses QB17 and I opened backup in QB19.  Would the software possibly not pickup the sales tax preference?  Just curious if you have any idea on this. 

JaneD

Hi there, TammyM12.

Allow me to chime in and provide more information with opening the client's backup copy file in QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) 2019.

If you're opening the client's Accountant's Copy file in QBDT 2019, it is ideal that the client and accountant using this feature should have the same version or year of the software. You can still work on it with different versions as long as the gap between them is just one year. 

To avoid any issues, I recommend opening the file on the same version. For more in-depth information about this feature, you can check out this article: Use the Accountant's Copy.

That should do it. Let me know if you have further questions by leaving a message below. I'll be here to help.

davesbodyshop
Level 1

I have Simple Start in Quickbooks and one of my accounts does not pull up my sales tax due report or my profit & balance report.  It keeps telling me to set up the report and memorize it but in Simple Start I don't know how to do it.

ReymondO
QuickBooks Team

I'll help you pull up the reports that you need in QuickBooks, @davesbodyshop.

If you wanted to view your sales tax liability report, we can run the Balance Sheet report. Let me show you how:

1. Go to Reports.
  2. Search for the Balance Sheet report and open it.

If you wanted to review how much sales tax you've collected from your sales transactions and the amount you owe to tax agencies, you can run the Sales Tax Liability report. Just go to Reports and look for the Sales Tax Liability report. 

Also, you can go to the Sales Tax window to view the sales tax due in QuickBooks Online. You can refer to this image below:

In addition, you can customize these reports to easily review your transactions in QuickBooks. Then, memorize them to save their customized settings.

That's it! Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to be of assistance. Have a great weekend!

userdonnajgrose
Level 1

Searching for sales tax liability on new imac desktop. I went to reports  then vendors and payables. Tried to click on Sales Tax liability but it is greyed out.

help

LieraMarie_A
QuickBooks Team

Hey there, @userdonnajgrose. I'm here to make sure you can pull up your Sales Tax Liability report without a moment's delay!

Have you been collecting sales tax? If it's yes, make sure you've restored the correct company file. If the Sales Tax feature is turned off, it restricts your access to sales tax reports. 

You can activate it by following these steps:

1. Go to the QuickBooks menu, then select Preferences.
  2. Select Sales tax.
  3. Select Customers are charged sales tax.
  4. Select if you pay sales tax MonthlyQuarterly, or Annually.
  5. Choose how sales tax accrues. Select As of invoice date for an Accrual Basis or select Upon receipt of payment for a Cash Basis.
  6. Select the dropdown for Most common sales tax or select Edit to set up sales tax items or groups for each county, district, or city you collect sales tax. 
  7. Follow the remaining onscreen instructions.

Doing these actions will allow you to run the report. Otherwise, let's perform basic troubleshooting to resolve this. You can run the Verify/Rebuild toolVerify will detect any damaged data. Rebuild will attempt to fix the damaged data detected. It also allows your QuickBooks software to refresh the data inside the company file. Make sure to create a backup copy of your company file before doing the Verify and Rebuild process. If there are changes that occur, having a backup copy allows you to restore it to undo the changes.

Follow the steps below on how to verify data:

1. On the top menu, click File.
  2. Choose Utilities.
  3. Select Verify Data.
  4. Click OK when you see the message, QuickBooks detected no problem with your data.
  5. If Verify finds an issue with your data, you'll be prompted to Rebuild Now or View Errors.
  6. Click Close or View Errors and take note of the specific error message.

Next, here's how to rebuild data:

1. On the top menu, click File.
  2. Choose Utilities.
  3. Select Rebuild Data.
  4. Click OK if you receive a prompt to back up your company file.
  5. Click OK when you get the message, Rebuild has completed and proceed to the next step.
  6. Run Rebuild Data again to make sure there's no error.

Additionally, make sure to update your QuickBooks for Mac to its latest release version to get the latest features and fixes.

Drop me a comment below if you need more help with reviewing your sales tax reports. I'd be more than happy to assist you again. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us