cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I created a custom journal numbers for depreciation, but it is automatically generated for other journal entries. How do I stop auto generation of journal numbers?

3 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: I created a custom journal numbers for depreciation, but it is automatically generated for ot...

Welcome aboard to the Community, @pakina

In QuickBooks Online, you can control the auto-generated numbers on the journal entries. To do this, simply enable the option from the Account and Settings so you can assign your own transaction numbers.

Here’s how:

1. From the Gear icon, select Account and Settings.
  2. Choose Sales from the left menu.
  3. On the Sales form content section, click the pencil icon.
  4. Mark the box next to Custom transaction numbers.
  5. Click Save.
  6. Hit Done.

custom num 1.PNGcustom num 2.PNGcustom num 3.PNG

Once done, create a journal entry and add your own custom number. QuickBooks should now follow the sequence based on what is entered moving forward.

To know more about the process, please check out this article: Change the number on invoices or other transactions.

That should answer your concern for today.

Let me know how everything turns out, or if you have any issues after following those steps. I’m always here ready to help. Have a nice day!

Re: I created a custom journal numbers for depreciation, but it is automatically generated for ot...

Hi KhimG,

Thanks for your reply, but it does not answer my question.  I know how to create my own custom journal entry numbers. I don't want Quickbooks to automatically assign journal entry numbers for automatic journal entries generated by our Bill.com add-on.
How do I stop Quickbooks from automatically assigning the next journal entry number to automatic journal entries in Quickbooks created by other programs?

Hi there, @pakina.

Thank you for getting back to us and for providing more details about your concern. Currently, QuickBooks will automatically assign a journal entry number, and there isn't an option to disable it.

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts about controlling the sequence in your Journal no. field. I'll let the Product Development Team know about your feedback and suggestions.

In the meantime, you can manually change the number in the register. Let me show you how: 

1. On the left pane, select Accounting.
  2. Find the bank to which the journal entries are posted. 
  3. In the ACTION column, select View Register
  4. Select the journal entry.
  5. In the REF NO. column, change the number. 
  6. Click Save.

Capture1.PNG

Additionally, I recommend the following resource which has tutorials to help a user learn the software: QuickBooks Tutorials.

If there's anything else that I can help you with, feel free to leave a comment below. I'm here to lend a helping hand. Wishing you the best.