cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member

If I am creating an invoice for services based upon time worked, how can I put a quantity of hours total at the bottom of the invoice with the dollar total?

3 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: If I am creating an invoice for services based upon time worked, how can I put a quantity of ...

Hi there, @BeyondTheBox,

It's nice to have you here today. I can share some insights about the billable hours on your invoices.

QuickBooks inputs the billable time on your invoice's line items. The option to add the time at the bottom of the invoice is currently unavailable at the moment.

While were unable to show the billable time as subtotals at the bottom of the transaction, you can group you client's activities by service or time. Grouping them enables you to display the total number of hours in one line item on the invoice.

Here's how to do this:

1. Create an invoice.
  2. When adding the time activities, select the Group time by service from the drop-down.
  3. Click Add all.

To check your customer's time activities, you can run the Time Activities by Customer Detail report, then filter it to show the total of billable and non-billable hours. Here's how:

1. Click Reports in the left panel.
  2. Type Time Activities by Customer Detail in the search box.
  3. Click the Customize button in the upper right-hand corner.
  4. Maximize the Filters section.
  5. Check the box for Billable, and then choose how you'd like the time to be displayed (billable or non-billable).
  6. Click Run report.

I've also attached several articles to help you set up your billable time:

How to enter billable time by job

How to turn on and set up time tracking

That should do it. Please know that I'm just a post away if you have any questions or need further assistance with your invoices. I'm here to help. Have a good one!

Experienced Member

Re: If I am creating an invoice for services based upon time worked, how can I put a quantity of ...

I thank you for your help but I think Quickbooks misses the entire point of billing services by work time.

The report you reference is exactly what the Invoice should include. No excuse for that qty total to be missing on an invoice. Quickbooks is not a new company and I would expect that you have perfected all of this by now.

I have an existing pending invoice and do not see any reference or control labeled "Group time by service". 

I need each day to be shown, and the total hours (qty) to be at the bottom for the whole invoice. 

Can I get this type of Invoice?

Thanks for getting back to us, @BeyondTheBox.

Allow me to step in and share some additional information about customizing invoice in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

As mentioned above, QBO doesn't have the option to add a total quantity of hours field on an invoice at this time. The Group time by service option that my colleague is referring to will only show if you've recorded a weekly timesheet and create a new invoice.

Here's how:

1.  Go to the Plus icon, then pick Weekly Timesheet under Employees column.
2. Enter the information. You will be able to mark it billable to the customer as well as track your time.
3. Hit Save.

Once done, you will see all billable time ready to be included and the Group time by service option when you create invoices. For additional information, check out this article for future reference: How to enter billable time by job.

Please let me know should you need anything else in the comment section. I'll be happy to help. Cheers!