cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Experienced Member

If I am paying a contractor (crane services) and I've entered them in as a Vendor...When writing a check, what Chart of Account Category should they be under?

3 Comments
Established Community Backer ***

Re: If I am paying a contractor (crane services) and I've entered them in as a Vendor...When writing a check, what Chart of Account Category should they be under?

which expense account you use is really up to you, create one that reflects why you use them.  Job expense, crane expense, etc

if you will have to issue them a 1099 at year end, give them a w-9 to fill out so you know for sure, then all contractor 1099 payments report on the tax form in an expense account titled non-employee compensation.  So if it were me I would create that expense account and use it

Experienced Member

Re: If I am paying a contractor (crane services) and I've entered them in as a Vendor...When writing a check, what Chart of Account Category should they be under?

What if you have an expense account for Contractors, would you just put it in there? Or How about creating an account for "Cranes" like you said, and then making that a sub-account of Contractors? I feel like maybe I am thinking too hard. hehe

Highlighted
QuickBooks Team

Re: If I am paying a contractor (crane services) and I've entered them in as a Vendor...When writ...

Hello there, service8.

Thanks for coming back. Allow me to share some insights about paying contractors in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

I agree with Rustler, it's up to you which expense account you want use. Yes, you can choose the expense accounts for contractors.

Also, you've got a good suggestion. You can definitely create a new account specific for cranes and make it as a sub-account so you can easily track your crane expenses.

Just in case you need reference, feel free to check out these helpful articles:

That should get you on the right track on paying contractors. I'll be here If you have follow-up concerns about this or should you need anything else.