cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If i paid a bill twice in billpay so in QB's I created a credit memo. the 2nd payment came in as an expense/ how do i apply this CM?

1 Comment
QuickBooks Team

Re: If i paid a bill twice in billpay so in QB's I created a credit memo. the 2nd payment came in...

Hi there, @accounting95.

I'm here to help provide some insights about your bill overpayment in QuickBooks. 

A credit memo is issued in order to reduced the amount that a customer owes from a previously issued invoice. In your case, you shouldn't be creating a credit memo, instead, you'll need to enter an expense.

You'll need to post this to Accounts Payable so you can either issue this as a refund or a credit you can use for the next bill payment.

Here's how to enter an expense:

1. On your QuickBooks account, go to the Plus Icon and click Expense.
  2. Select the Payee and Payment date.
  3. On the Category details, select Accounts Payable and enter the amount.
  4. Once done, click Save and close.

bill overpayment1.PNGbill overpayment2.PNG

Later on, you can add this expense if you want to create a check refund or you can apply this on the next bill payment.

Let me know how it goes. If you need some helpful references in the future, please feel free to access our help site: Help articles for QuickBooks Online.

I'll be around to help you further if you have additional questions about recording the overpaid bill. Have a good one.