cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JamesCrozier
Level 3

Importing Custom Invoice Templates into QuickBooks Online

Hello, I have imported my own style of estimate and invoice templates. They were working fine but now if I create a invoice from a estimate it shows as completely different and all scrambled. But if I create just a invoice it shows fine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Rasa-LilaM
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for joining this thread, JamesCrozier.

Allow me to chime in for a moment and share some information about the issue you’re currently experiencing with the sales templates.

We have received reports from some customers that the invoices they created from estimates are displaying differently compared to their imported templates. Our engineers are working hard to come up with a resolution as soon as possible.

I suggest reaching out to our QuickBooks Online Customer Team to add your company to the notification list of affected users. You will also receive an email notification once there’s progress.

To reach them:

1. Go to Help at the top, then click on the Contact Us link.
  2. In the How can we help? window, enter contact support in the field box.
  3. Choose a way to connect with us.
  4. Select Start messaging/We'll call you.

Rest assured, I'll keep you posted here in this thread for any updates available.

For future reference, check out this link with detailed information on how to create and use a custom form style.  

That should point you in the right track.

I appreciate your patience while we look into this. If there’s anything else I can help you in QBO, post a comment below. I’ll be right here to assist you further.

Wajdy
Level 3

Exactly the same case here:

When I convert Estimate to Invoice, the template reverts back to the standard one.

This is awful bug, since this is extremely important in order to streamline invoicing process.

Thanks

Wajdy

FritzF

Hello there, @Wajdy.

Thanks for joining this conversation. Allow me to step in for a moment and share some update about this ongoing issue.

Currently, our Product Engineers are continuously working on resolving this issue as soon as possible. While we don't have a firm timeline for when this investigation will be resolved, I highly contacting our Phone Support team. They have tools that can check and add your account to our list of affected users.

Once added, you'll receive an email notification once the investigation is done with a resolution. I'll also update you in this post as well.

You can use the steps provided by my colleague above to reach them, or you can also visit this article: Contact the QuickBooks Online Customer Support team.

Thanks for your understanding and patience while we look into this. Please post again or leave a comment should you have any follow-up questions. I'm always here to help you out. Take care and have a good one!

JamesCrozier
Level 3

Thank you for the reply. Look forward to seeing this issue fixed

vpcontroller
Level 11

Let me also chime in and allow me to put this in some perspective.

This DOCX import feature was originally introduced sometime in August of 2015, like nearly four years ago now. (Notice this one is still at QuickBooks Labs to turn on???)

Since then, they have added so many new sales functions in QBO, recent big feature improvement is, of course, Progress Invoicing. And more on the Products/Services side.

But I've not heard of even single improvement (maybe few bug fixes) they've done in the last few years related to this DOCX import style. It seems like this import tool is nearly obsolete now. There is no more WOW factor on this one!

MarshallA
Intuit

@vpcontroller 

Out of curiosity, what kind of improvements to this feature would you want to see?

As it is now, its basically a template that offers all existing fields that can be mapped to a field QBO uses on invoices.  You're only limited by how creative you can be in MS Word.

What type of improvements would you like to see to this feature?

mleblanc
Level 2

I am having the same issue with my invoice all scrambled up when I email them or want to print them. I have left two times this case with QB team to be figured out and I have heard nothing. I cannot send an invoice at this point. I need to have this fixed. Who can help me?

DarellA
QuickBooks Team

Hi @mleblanc,

I know it’s a tough experience to encounter this error.

There’s an ongoing investigation concerning with “importing custom invoice templates”-related issue. Our engineers is currently working on the appropriate means to fix it. 

I’d recommend contacting our Support Team so you’ll be added as one of the affected user. You’ll then be notified with the updates on our progress. 

If there’s anything else you need, feel free to post again.

Jeremy_T
Level 3

I’m surprised to see this issue everywhere including my own thread...are your engineers are working on it? This is taking a toll on us to workaround using the Docx word doc instead of a one click solution that quickbooks offers which is the ONLY reason we subscribed to quickbooks and now this issue is causing us major issue. Pls fix this ASAP, and ASAP is not telling me 7 days and we wait patiently for 7 days and even after 14 days it’s not fixed. In fact it’s been more than 40 days since we raise this issue through all portals of quickbooks. Engineers, please kindly do your job.

Wajdy
Level 3

As a temporary solution, copy invoice, print it (template will work this way, then delete the invoice.

The only problem is :  you can not use the same Invoice number so you have to adjust it by PDF editor.

That is clumsy :smileyfrustrated:

vpcontroller
Level 11

Why is this still in QuickBooks Labs?

This import style (template in Word DOCX file) is in QuickBooks Labs since August of 2015, that's over three years ago now. We played enough. This experiment failed, it should 'disappear' from the QuickBooks Labs. Go back to the drawing board. Hire a team of local engineers and some top-notch graphics layout designers and fix it. And bring back something new WOW import styles in QBO. Thousands of QBO users already send you feedback requests. You know what they want. So, what're you waiting for? Just do it!!!

QB Labs import style.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is telling me my limit for invoice templates is 25. I have a different invoice for each customer. How do I create more than 25?

Thank you,

Heather

Angelyn_T
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @Anonymous.

Please allow me to join the thread and help share additional information about importing invoice templates in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

Yes, the template limit is only 25 styles. When you reached the said limit, you'll need to delete an existing style to create a new one. This is how QBO works as of the moment. If you have more than 25 customers and each customer has a different template style, the only option is to delete the other template and import a new one.f1 template.PNG

In addition, you also have the option to customize the template in QBO. For additional reference, you may check this article: How to customize invoices, estimates, and sales receipts.

Don't hesitate to add a post/comment below if you have any other questions about templates in QBO. I'll be always here to help  you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there an upgrade available to increase this number?

Charies_M

Hello there, heatherkelso.

Thanks for checking in with us. Allow me to share some information about the template limits in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

At the moment, there isn't an available upgrade to increase the number of template style in QBO. It's our priority to provide products and services that suits your business needs. We'll make sure to take note of this and will inform you through this thread once we receive progress or product enhancement update about the availability of this feature.

You may also want to check for the latest QuickBooks feature updates through our QuickBooks Blog: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/blog/.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with, I'd be delighted to answer them for you.

JamesCrozier
Level 3

Quickbooks should just fix the import of custom invoice style features or come out with better looking  invoices in Quickbooks.

Rasa-LilaM
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @JamesCrozier.

I'm updating this post to inform you that the investigation about the imported invoice showing a different style (INV-27308) is now tagged as closed and resolved. 

You should be able to use the the template without any issues. If you still experience the same issue, I suggest performing the browser troubleshooting steps.

To begin, open your QBO company via a private window or incognito. When using these sessions, none of your of your information is saved or tracked along the way.

Here's how:

• Google Chrome: press Ctrl + Shift + N
  • Mozilla Firefox: press Ctrl + Shift + P
  • Internet Explorer: press Ctrl + Shift + P
  • Safari: press Command + Shift + N

If invoice displays the correct one, shift back to your regular browser (Ctrl + N) and clear its cache. In case private browsing fails, let's try switching to a different browser.

If none of these suggestions work, I recommend you get in touch with our QBO Support Team. They have tools to check the template in a secure environment and make sure you can use it smoothly.

2. In the How can we help you with? window, enter contact support in the field box.
  3. In the Ways we can connect with us section, select Message an Agent or We’ll call you.

This information should help you move forward. Reach out to me if you have any follow-up questions or concerns about QBO. Please know I'll be right here to help. 

JamesCrozier
Level 3

@Rasa-LilaM wrote:

Hi there, @JamesCrozier.

I'm updating this post to inform you that the investigation about the imported invoice showing a different style (INV-27308) is now tagged as closed and resolved. 

You should be able to use the the template without any issues. If you still experience the same issue, I suggest performing the browser troubleshooting steps.

To begin, open your QBO company via a private window or incognito. When using these sessions, none of your of your information is saved or tracked along the way.

Here's how:

• Google Chrome: press Ctrl + Shift + N
  • Mozilla Firefox: press Ctrl + Shift + P
  • Internet Explorer: press Ctrl + Shift + P
  • Safari: press Command + Shift + N

If invoice displays the correct one, shift back to your regular browser (Ctrl + N) and clear its cache. In case private browsing fails, let's try switching to a different browser.

If none of these suggestions work, I recommend you get in touch with our QBO Support Team. They have tools to check the template in a secure environment and make sure you can use it smoothly.

2. In the How can we help you with? window, enter contact support in the field box.
  3. In the Ways we can connect with us section, select Message an Agent or We’ll call you.

This information should help you move forward. Reach out to me if you have any follow-up questions or concerns about QBO. Please know I'll be right here to help. 

Again QBO tech being of no help at all with issues. None of that solved my issues of having my invoice show properly. I have been online chat already and were of no help. I have tried every browser and same thing.

Wajdy
Level 3

I tried the instructions, it is not working for me too!

It will default to standard template which is rejected by clients.

I sent my Invoice template to customer support for analysis too.

Thanks

Wajdy

Mark_R
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @Wajdy.

I've checked here that we have a new investigation about using the imported templates resorting to the standard one. Rest assured, our engineers are all hands in working for a fix.

As a workaround, you can try to send the invoice to your own email address and print it from there then send it manually to your client. Also, turning off the progress invoicing feature can help us isolate the issue. 

In addition, this is even more specified to the imported invoice template, not just a regular customize invoice.

I suggest getting in touch with our Customer Care to check and verify this further. Once verified that you're one of the affected users in this investigation, our team will add you to the list of affected users and automatically receive an email notification with the latest updates.

On the other hand, to stay updated with the QuickBooks news and updates, you may visit our QuickBooks blog.

Thank you for your patience as we work for a fix.

Wajdy
Level 3

I want to add this work around, it will 100% make sure converting estimate to invoice will use the new template:

Use Quickbooks mobile application to convert estimate, assign invoice number manually and you will have the printed invoice with the imported template!

Support team: whenever invoice number get assigned automatically, the imported template doesn't work. That is all

Thanks

Wajdy

JaneD

Hi Wajdy,

Allow me to chime in and provide further information about the imported template issue.

You're awesome! I'm glad you've found a workaround in printing invoices using the imported template. The Community is a great place to share your ideas and workarounds to help other users. 

So you're aware, this issue has already been resolved. You should now be able to print invoices using your imported template. 

Just in case, I'm attaching these helpful articles for your reference:

I appreciate you for connecting with us. You're always welcome to drop by again if you have any questions. I'll be right here to help. Have a great day and see you around.

JamesCrozier
Level 3

I don't know how QBO thinks this issue is resolved. I just tried it and it still shows my invoice as a scrambled mess

FritzF

Hi, @JamesCrozier.

I appreciate you getting back to us in the Community. Allow me to step in and help make sure that this is taken care of.

As mention by my colleague above, our engineers have already resolved this unusual behavior (INV-27308). However, since you’re still experiencing the same problem even after performing some troubleshooting steps, I recommend giving our Support Team a call. They can reopen the investigation or create a new one depending on the reports they received.

Here's how to reach them:

1. Click the Help (question mark) icon at the top.
2. Select Contact Us at the button to connect with our support.

Please let me know how the call goes in the comment section. I'll be happy to help should need anything else. Take care.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us