cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor *

Invoice appears in register

Forgive the silly question but when I create an invoice, it appears in my register and deducts from my operating account.  Is that correct?  I understand that when I apply the payment, it will "clear it out" but I wasn't expecting to see it there.  Please advise.  

Thank you!

5 Comments
Established Community Backer ***

Re: Invoice appears in register

Check the item(s) you use on the invoice and insure that where you select an income account, it is an income account. 

the item determines what account is posted to, and the total is posted to a/r

Frequent Contributor *

I'm billing for a monthly fee.  Should the item be "service"?  Should it be showing in my operating account register?

QuickBooks Team

Sending good vibes to you, calicoellie.

I'm here to provide you with some information about invoicing in QuickBooks Desktop.

Yes, it should be service item. Also, with regards to our question if you bill for a monthly fee it will show in your operating account register depends on what bank account was used since billing and invoicing are posting transactions.

You may find these articles helpful:

As always, you can contact our customer care agents if you'd like someone to be with you as you go through these steps. They can pull up your account in a secure environment and assist you further in setting up everything you need in QuickBooks Desktop:

1. Go to: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Choose your QuickBooks Product.
  3. Select your QuickBooks version.
  4. On the Contact Us page, click a topic.
  5. Click on the Get Phone Number button to see the support number.

Should you need anything else, don't hesitate to fill me in. Have a good one.

Highlighted
Established Community Backer ***

there is no service account register for what you bill out to customers, income what you charge customers is income

Frequent Contributor *

Thank you so much!  The articles are exactly what I need.  I wound up creating a billing statement rather than an invoice.  Much appreciated!