cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robertl391
Level 1

Invoices show in the account register as PAID (debit) transactions. Show correctly (Into and out of) AR. HOW did they get there, and how do I get rid of them?

Older invoices did not show up this way. I have tried making new 'fake' invoices. They don't show up there. I have paid the 'fake' invoices and the 'fake' ones still don't show in the account register. How can an invoice show up essentially as a check (PAID/Debit) item in the register??

Solved
Best answer December 10, 2018

Best Answers
SkinnyRaven
Level 8

Invoices show in the account register as PAID (debit) transactions. Show correctly (Into and out of) AR. HOW did they get there, and how do I get rid of them?

Check the items used on the invoice. The cost side should be assigned an expense account or COGS and the sales side should be assigned an income account. Neither should be your bank account.

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
SkinnyRaven
Level 8

Check the items used on the invoice. The cost side should be assigned an expense account or COGS and the sales side should be assigned an income account. Neither should be your bank account.

robertl391
Level 1

No 'items' on the invoice. We bill for a service. There is no way that I can see to check an 'expense account' or 'income account'. When I "Create Invoices" there is no such account to check. They go straight to AR. But in this case they also went to the account's (from the list of accounts) register in addition to the AR register (AR also being in the list of accounts). See my screen shot which shows the register and the entry looking like a check even though it's an invoice.
SkinnyRaven
Level 8

The service you bill for is an item. You can't invoice without an item.
robertl391
Level 1

THANKS! You are correct and that solved the problem. I HAD put in an item, but didn't realize that the item had to be created, categorized (Service) and assigned an account. My older version lets you insert an item without assigning any parameters to it, which seems like a bad idea. Perhaps they've fixed that in the newer versions. Thanks again!!!
ArroyoStrategy
Level 1

So I'm having the same issue, where my invoices are being debited in my bank account. The income account on the "service" is set to another income account but I see no "cost account" as mentioned above. This is the online version that I'm on. Any ideas?
IntuitBrooks
Level 9

You should open a new forum post for QuickBooks Online I think and ask there.
diverkathy
Level 1

I just checked and all items are either service or non-inventory parts and point to an income account.  I did notice that preferences had check auto-apply all payments?  How Do I get rid of them? 

qbteachmt
Level 15

For QB Desktop, edit your Items that you both buy and sell, incur and charge, and checkmark the box on the left. That Opens Two Sides. Now you link the left side to Expense and the right side to Income. When you save this change, QB offers to move existing data for you, separating income and expense.

When you purchase a Service, Noninventory, Inventory, or Other Charge type item, use the Item on the Items tab. When you sell it, that creates Income, because you told the system how to separate and track the data depending on where you listed that item. Please see my attachment.

Donna55
Level 1

Thank you SkinnyRaven!  I've been searching and searching for hours for an answer to the same problem and you solved it.  I went to Items and Services and, sure enough, I had picked my bank as my "account" for one of my services.  Once I unchecked my bank and picked an appropriate account then, magically, all those darn invoices disappeared from my check register.  Thank you so much!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us