cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PalmettoProCon
Level 2

Is there a report that shows how much of my revenue from a specific job was applied towards the overhead of that job and if so how do I run or set it up

I am currently using quickbooks enterprise contractor 19.  I have a commercial construction company and we were trying to figure out how much of each jobs revenue was actually, if at all, being applied towards the overhead cost figured into each estimate for each job.  We do progress billing so each class of each job has its own cost associated to it.  I was just wanting to know if I should be setting something up to track this so we can make sure we are including enough on each estimate to cover the basic cost of operations.  Its easy to see if we are covering cost for materials and labor but not so easy to find the figures to make sure we are covering all the other expenses that are underlying for each job (overhead, burden, etc.)

5 Comments 5
QBsguru
Level 7

Is there a report that shows how much of my revenue from a specific job was applied towards the overhead of that job and if so how do I run or set it up

Are you running payroll within QuickBooks?

Rose-A

Hello, PalmettoProCon.

I'm here to lend a helping hand with generating a report that shows all the information you need in QuickBooks Desktop.

I can provide you with easy steps on how you generate a report that shows the revenue from a specific job in QuickBooks Desktop. You can pull up and customize the Job Profitability Detail report.

Here's how:

1. Click Reports at the top menu bar.
  2. On the drop-down list, click Jobs. Time & Mileage then choose Job Profitability Detail.
  3. Choose the Job and hit OK.
  4. In the report screen, click Customize Report.
  5. Go to the Filters tab and click the drop-down arrow under Account.
  6. Choose Multiple Accounts.
  7. Choose the Income Account and the Overhead Account.
  8. Hit OK.

z.PNGx.PNGc.PNGv.PNG

These recommended articles are a good reference:

That's it! I'll stick around if you need more help in generating a report in QuickBooks Desktop. Have a great rest of your day.

LGierich
Level 1

When I attempt to run this report when I select my OH account the report is blank.

LGierich
Level 1

When I choose my OH account the report does not calculate anything. 

Mich_S
QuickBooks Team

I appreciate you for joining the thread and sharing your experience with us, @LGierich.

Let me share some insights about the Job Profitability Detail report showing blank in QuickBooks Desktop.

When accessing the report, make sure to select all the filters needed especially the Dates and the Accounting Method (If applicable). This will prevent some of the transactions/information be hidden from the report. 

To do so, you can either filter it from the main report:

1. Click on the Reports menu.
  2. Select Jobs. Time & Mileage then click on Job Profitability Detail from the list.
  3. Fill in the date period and any other filters, if applicable.
  4. Once done, it will automatically give you your desired report period/details.

Or by using the same report, you can click the Customize Report button and make the changes from there: 

After completing the necessary filters, click on OK.

For more information about handling reports, read this guide: Customize reports in QuickBooks Desktop.

You can also check this out to learn more about assigning your expenses to a certain job in QBDT: Create a bill in QuickBooks Desktop.

Please let us know if you need extra help with this matter or with the software (QuickBooks) in general. We're always glad to be of help. Have a great rest of your day and take care!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us