cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way to select "track depreciation" of fixed assets you've already entered into QB? When I go to edit those accounts, I don't see the option to do it. Thanks.

Solved
Best answer April 22, 2019

Best Answers
Rustler
Level 15

Is there a way to select "track depreciation" of fixed assets you've already entered into QB? When I go to edit those accounts, I don't see the option to do it. Thanks.

in the chart of accounts you create the fixed asset account, and you also create a sub fixed asset account called accumulated depreciation for that asset.

I do it this way, but it is up to you

Fixed Assets

>> car

>> >> car cost
>> >> accumulated depreciation- car

>> truck

>> >> truck cost

etc

QB does not make depreciation entries, you have to first calculate the depreciation amount and then do a journal entry

debit depreciation expense

credit accumulated depreciation - [asset]

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
Rustler
Level 15

in the chart of accounts you create the fixed asset account, and you also create a sub fixed asset account called accumulated depreciation for that asset.

I do it this way, but it is up to you

Fixed Assets

>> car

>> >> car cost
>> >> accumulated depreciation- car

>> truck

>> >> truck cost

etc

QB does not make depreciation entries, you have to first calculate the depreciation amount and then do a journal entry

debit depreciation expense

credit accumulated depreciation - [asset]

Need to get in touch?

Contact us