cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tuckett57
Level 1

Is there any way to retrieve an estimate if you walk away from your computer and its gone when you return

4 Comments 4
KhimG
QuickBooks Team

Is there any way to retrieve an estimate if you walk away from your computer and its gone when you return

Hi there, @tuckett57.

Thanks for posting in the Community. I’m here to share some information about your estimate in QuickBooks Online.

It is possible the system logs you off when you're away from your computer for some time. This is to prevent unauthorized users from gaining access to your account.

You have to re-enter the estimate because the unfinished transaction won’t be available once you get back, so make sure to save your work often to avoid recording them all again.

If you’re the Master Admin of the company file, you can set QuickBooks waiting time before it logs out after hours of inactivity. Let me show you how:

1. Go to the Gear icon and select Account and Settings.
  2. Choose the Advanced tab and click the pencil icon to edit the Other Preferences section.
  3. Set the hour to Sign Me Out If Inactive for.
  4. Hit Save and then Done.

Here’s an article about configuring company settings in QuickBooks Online: Advanced Company Settings.

That should do it. Add a comment below if you have any questions, I’m always here if you need me. Have a great day!

Malcolm Ziman
Level 10

@KhimG wrote:

It is possible the system logs you off when you walk away from your computer, to prevent unauthorized users from gaining access to your account.

The QBO desktop app does not log me off, ever.   I guess that means unauthorized users can gain access to my account

KhimG
QuickBooks Team

Hello, @Malcolm Ziman.

I’m here to provide some clarification about the Automatic timeout feature in QuickBooks Online.

As mentioned above, the system may log you off depending on how long the computer is in idle mode. This prevents unauthorized users to access QuickBooks when you’re away from your PC.

With QuickBooks Online Desktop and Mobile App, you can select the Stay Signed-in box in order to remain logged in to your account. The feature is currently unavailable in the web version of QBO.

While this is the case, you have an option to set the company settings to keep you logged in for up to 3 hours if you’re the Master Admin. Refer to the article above for more information.

That's it. Let me know if you have any questions, I'm here to answer them for you. 

TKillman
Level 1

This is absolutely ridiculous… Simple programs like Microsoft office and even lesser programs have the ability to auto save. For a program as prestigious and expensive as QuickBooks this should be a standard feature. Aggravating beyond words.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us