cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FLSHVAC
Level 1

Labor costs not showing on the Profit & Loss by Job

We outsource payroll and labor hours are allocated to the jobs correctly in the GL file to the correct COGS > Labor accounts we upload each week, however, the labor expense is not showing on the Job Profitability reports. We do not bill for labor but it is a huge part of our cost per project. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

7 Comments 7
MirriamM

Thanks for reaching out to the Community, FLSHVAC,

I'm here to provide information on how to show Labor costs on the Profit & Loss by Job report.

To start with, track Billable Expense by Job. Here's how:

1. Go to Vendors menu at the top, then select Enter Bills.
  2. In the Enter Bills window, choose a Vendor and go to Expenses tab.
  3. Choose an Expense account, enter amount and select Customer:Job.
  4. Put a check mark in the Billable column.
  5. Click Save & Close.

Once done, apply the Bill into an invoice then receive payment.

By following the steps above, you're now ready to pull up the Profit & Loss by Job report. It should now show the Labor costs.

That's it! I'd appreciate if you can update me on how it goes. I'm always here to help. Have a great day!

FLSHVAC
Level 1

I'm sorry, I am a bit confused.  These are labor hours, (payroll) we are trying to track.  Why would we enter a bill for it?  We do not bill for labor and there are not any vendors applicable to it?

AlcaeusF

Hello FLSHVAC,

Thank you for getting back to us here in the Community. Allow me to step in and lend a hand with your concern about running Job reports in QuickBooks Desktop.

To ensure labor expenses will show when running Job Profitability reports, please make sure to add them within the transaction.

For your visual reference, I'm adding screenshots on where you can add them:

You can run a Custom Transaction Detail report and filter the details to Paychecks or Checks depending on how you create the transactions.

Here's how:

1. Click the Reports tab at the top menu bar.
  2. Select Custom Reports.
  3. Click Transaction Detail.
  4. Go to the Filters tab.
  5. Below Filter, select Transaction Type.
  6. Click the drop-down arrow, and select Multiple Transaction Types.
  7. Select Check or Paycheck.
  8. Click OK twice.

Please feel free to post any questions you have below regarding the Job report. I'm here to ensure your success.

FLSHVAC
Level 1

Good Morning,

Thank you for your replies, however, this is not going to work, our payroll is outsourced and only uploaded to our banking ledger via the GL ledger IIF files.  The account path that it gets posted to is COGS>LABOR>(Job Name).  I have included a scan of a partial GL payroll file here for you to see the postings.  This is what I need to show on the Job P & L's.  I'm sorry if I am not being clear, I'm finding that it is not easy to convey the issue.

JonpriL

Thank you for the response, @FLSHVAC!

You need to link your labor cost to your transactions. Let me join into this thread, share additional information, and help you from there.

@AlcaeusF is correct. In addition, adding labor cost expenses to your transactions in QuickBooks can easily help you show them in your Profit & Loss by Job report.

With that being said, I'd recommend following the detailed steps shared by my colleague above. This way, your labor expenses will show in your Job Profitability reports.

Lastly, you can check out this helpful article for your future reference: Customize Reports in QuickBooks Desktop.

Let me know in the comment section below if you have any other questions. I'll be always around ready to help.

twalker71
Level 1

@FLSHVAC Did you get this resolved?  I have the exact same issue.

Ashley H
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for joining the thread, @twalker71.

After following what my colleagues had suggested and the issue persists, then I recommend calling into our Desktop Support. Rest assured, they have tools that can look further into this behavior and put you on a path to resolution. Here's how to get in touch:

1. Open QuickBooks.
  2. Go to Help, then select QuickBooks Desktop Help.
  3. Choose Contact Us.
  4. Give a brief description of your issue, then press Continue.
  5. Pick how you want to get contacted.

Let me know how the conversation goes. I'll be here if you have additional questions or concerns. Have a beautiful day!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us