cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

My sales tax will not calculate on the sales invoice.

The sales tax rate shows up on the invoice but the box where the amount should be shown does not calculate and does not let me enter it in manually. 

13 REPLIES
Not applicable

Will the invoice not calculate tax if the invoice was cre...

Will the invoice not calculate tax if the invoice was created before the tax agency was created. Just shows up on the invoice as a grey box with 0.00. The tax agency is confirmed to be set up for NY
Super Contributor *

Hello, @mail. Yes, the sales tax amount will show if the...

Hello, @mail.

Yes, the sales tax amount will show if the invoice was created before setting up a tax agency in QuickBooks Online.

Let me know if you have further questions, I'll be here to keep helping.
Super Contributor *

Welcome to the QuickbBooks Community, jamie.larochelle. I...

Welcome to the QuickbBooks Community, jamie.larochelle.

I appreciate you checking in with us. Helping out with sales tax rate is my priority.

If an invoice doesn't calculate the sales tax amount, it's possible that you're not set up to collect sales tax. If you need to collect a tax, I'd suggest checking the sales settings and then update/add the appropriate tax agency.

Let me show you how:

1. Go to Taxes.
  2. Click the Sales tax settings link and select Add agency.
  3. Choose a state under Agency
  4. Select a filing frequency.
  5. Choose a month under Start of tax period
  6. Set the date in the Start date range. The date should be prior to the invoice's date. 
  7. Click Save.

Then try creating an invoice again. I'm confident that your invoice will calculate the sales tax amount. 

Feel free to reach out again with further questions, I'm always here to help. Wishing you continues success.

Great answer!  It solved my problem!

Great answer!  It solved my problem!
Super Contributor *

Glad to hear, @suearkwright. If you have any other concer...

Glad to hear, @suearkwright. If you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to visit us again. We're always here to help. Have a great day!
Not applicable

I am having the same issue and I tried the fix and it sti...

I am having the same issue and I tried the fix and it still will not let me add the sales tax to estimate. The box is showing up but there is no amount in it.
Super Contributor *

Hello, @dayak412. When setting up an agency in QuickBook...

Hello, @dayak412.

When setting up an agency in QuickBooks Online (QBO), make sure the Start date should be prior to the estimate's date.

If the sales tax amount didn't calculate after editing the tax settings date, I'd encourage you to contact us to make sure that your issue is addressed as soon as possible. Our customer care team has the tools, such as screen sharing, to dive deeper into this issue.

Please contact us through this link: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://community.intuit.com/articles/1145770">https://community.intuit.com/articles/1145770</a>.

Let me know if there's more I can help you with. I'm always here to help.
Not applicable

Minnesota local sales tax for walker City  are not calcul...

Minnesota local sales tax for walker City  are not calculating. Only MN State and County
Experienced Member

I don't see where to review sales tax settings.  Please e...

I don't see where to review sales tax settings.  Please elaborate.

Re: Welcome to the QuickbBooks Community, jamie.larochelle. I...

Hi this still didn't work with existing invoices.  QBO has the tax rate set at 7.25% and the customer and product show as taxable, but the Sales Tax box on invoice and liability reporting still shows zero.  Can I correct the sales for existing invoices without re-creating them?

QuickBooks Team

Re: Welcome to the QuickbBooks Community, jamie.larochelle. I...

Pleased to see you here, @NomadYag.

When you’re busy managing a business, the last thing you should have to deal with is an inaccurate calculation of sales tax. I’d be delighted to share some information with you on how to make sure Sales Tax is applied and calculated properly on your end.

For starters, if you've set up the sales tax after creating the invoice or if you've created invoices without sales tax in the past, the new sales tax will not be applied to it. You'll need to edit those invoices to reflect the sales tax that you've set up.

Here's how:

1. Go to Reports.
  2. Choose Transaction List by Date.
  3. Click Customize to select the correct date range.
  4. Under Rows/Columns, choose Change columns.
  5. Ensure to check Tax Amount.
  6. Click Run report.
  7. Select all the invoice that has no sales tax.
  8. Ensure to put a check mark on the column for Tax.
  9. Add the sales tax.
  10. Click Save.

For a more detailed instruction, you may check out these articles:

If sales tax is still not calculating properly on your end, I’d suggest reaching out to our Customer Care Team. An agent could look into your account and further check on it via secured remote access session.

Please feel free to drop a comment below if you have follow-up questions about sales tax calculation. I’m always here to help.

VDC
Experienced Member

Re: My sales tax will not calculate on the sales invoice.

I am having the same similar issue. When I create an estimate, my sales taxes are not automatically calc. I receive the following message: You’re not set up to collect sales tax for this sale. If you need to collect tax, go to your sales tax settings and add/update the appropriate tax agency.

Has anyone run across this issue? If so, is there a fix to resolve the issue?  

QuickBooks Team

Re: My sales tax will not calculate on the sales invoice.

Hello there, VDC.

Thanks for joining this thread. Allow me to add some additional information about Sales tax rate. 

You have the same concern with one of our customer and my colleague @JaneD already provided a resolution. You can follow the steps on her post above to check the sales tax settings to resolve this issue. 

For your additional reference, you can check this article: Set up and track sales tax.

Once you've already process the steps and the issue still persists, I suggest calling our QuickBooks Online Support Team. They have additional tools to pull up your account and investigate this further. 

You can reach our support through this link: Get help with QuickBooks Online.

Don't hesitate to leave a comment below if you have any other questions about Sales tax. We're always here for you.