cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamie-larochelle
Level 1

My sales tax will not calculate on the sales invoice.

The sales tax rate shows up on the invoice but the box where the amount should be shown does not calculate and does not let me enter it in manually. 

25 Comments 25
Not applicable

Will the invoice not calculate tax if the invoice was created before the tax agency was created. Just shows up on the invoice as a grey box with 0.00. The tax agency is confirmed to be set up for NY
JaneD

Hello, @mail.

Yes, the sales tax amount will show if the invoice was created before setting up a tax agency in QuickBooks Online.

Let me know if you have further questions, I'll be here to keep helping.
JaneD

Welcome to the QuickbBooks Community, jamie.larochelle.

I appreciate you checking in with us. Helping out with sales tax rate is my priority.

If an invoice doesn't calculate the sales tax amount, it's possible that you're not set up to collect sales tax. If you need to collect a tax, I'd suggest checking the sales settings and then update/add the appropriate tax agency.

Let me show you how:

1. Go to Taxes.
  2. Click the Sales tax settings link and select Add agency.
  3. Choose a state under Agency
  4. Select a filing frequency.
  5. Choose a month under Start of tax period
  6. Set the date in the Start date range. The date should be prior to the invoice's date. 
  7. Click Save.

Then try creating an invoice again. I'm confident that your invoice will calculate the sales tax amount. 

Feel free to reach out again with further questions, I'm always here to help. Wishing you continues success.

arkwrightarts
Level 1

Great answer!  It solved my problem!
JaneD

Glad to hear, @suearkwright. If you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to visit us again. We're always here to help. Have a great day!
Not applicable

I am having the same issue and I tried the fix and it still will not let me add the sales tax to estimate. The box is showing up but there is no amount in it.
JaneD

Hello, @dayak412.

When setting up an agency in QuickBooks Online (QBO), make sure the Start date should be prior to the estimate's date.

If the sales tax amount didn't calculate after editing the tax settings date, I'd encourage you to contact us to make sure that your issue is addressed as soon as possible. Our customer care team has the tools, such as screen sharing, to dive deeper into this issue.

Please contact us through this link: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://community.intuit.com/articles/1145770">https://community.intuit.com/articles/1145770</a>.

Let me know if there's more I can help you with. I'm always here to help.
paul-russell1
Level 1

Minnesota local sales tax for walker City  are not calculating. Only MN State and County
annmpbs
Level 1

I don't see where to review sales tax settings.  Please elaborate.
NomadYag
Level 1

Hi this still didn't work with existing invoices.  QBO has the tax rate set at 7.25% and the customer and product show as taxable, but the Sales Tax box on invoice and liability reporting still shows zero.  Can I correct the sales for existing invoices without re-creating them?

IamjuViel
QuickBooks Team

Pleased to see you here, @NomadYag.

When you’re busy managing a business, the last thing you should have to deal with is an inaccurate calculation of sales tax. I’d be delighted to share some information with you on how to make sure Sales Tax is applied and calculated properly on your end.

For starters, if you've set up the sales tax after creating the invoice or if you've created invoices without sales tax in the past, the new sales tax will not be applied to it. You'll need to edit those invoices to reflect the sales tax that you've set up.

Here's how:

1. Go to Reports.
  2. Choose Transaction List by Date.
  3. Click Customize to select the correct date range.
  4. Under Rows/Columns, choose Change columns.
  5. Ensure to check Tax Amount.
  6. Click Run report.
  7. Select all the invoice that has no sales tax.
  8. Ensure to put a check mark on the column for Tax.
  9. Add the sales tax.
  10. Click Save.

For a more detailed instruction, you may check out these articles:

If sales tax is still not calculating properly on your end, I’d suggest reaching out to our Customer Care Team. An agent could look into your account and further check on it via secured remote access session.

Please feel free to drop a comment below if you have follow-up questions about sales tax calculation. I’m always here to help.

VDC
Level 1

I am having the same similar issue. When I create an estimate, my sales taxes are not automatically calc. I receive the following message: You’re not set up to collect sales tax for this sale. If you need to collect tax, go to your sales tax settings and add/update the appropriate tax agency.

Has anyone run across this issue? If so, is there a fix to resolve the issue?  

JanyRoseB
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, VDC.

Thanks for joining this thread. Allow me to add some additional information about Sales tax rate. 

You have the same concern with one of our customer and my colleague @JaneD already provided a resolution. You can follow the steps on her post above to check the sales tax settings to resolve this issue. 

For your additional reference, you can check this article: Set up and track sales tax.

Once you've already process the steps and the issue still persists, I suggest calling our QuickBooks Online Support Team. They have additional tools to pull up your account and investigate this further. 

You can reach our support through this link: Get help with QuickBooks Online.

Don't hesitate to leave a comment below if you have any other questions about Sales tax. We're always here for you. 

Ryan_M

Hi @DEK Enterprise,

I'm here to help explain why you have this situation you mentioned.

The subtotal line shows the total amount of all the products and services you've entered on an invoice. It excludes any discounts or sales taxes at that point. What follows is either the discount (if you have this enabled) or the taxable subtotal, which is a part of the subtotal that will be taxable.

It's the Sales tax line that comes next, and it's the total tax applied for all taxable items you've marked on an invoice.

If you'd like to know how to manage sales tax payments, take some time to view the article provided. It lists the steps on how to record, adjust or delete a tax payment.

I'll be here to provide further help if needed. Leave a comment below and I'll get back to you.

LUNIC
Level 1

Hello,

I tried all of the above steps but my agency/state shows grey and it will not allow me to select. 

JamesDuanT

Hello LUNIC,

With the Automated Sales Tax, QuickBooks calculates the tax amounts based on the following: 

• Your customer’s tax exempt status
  • Where you sell and where you ship
  • Your service or product’s tax category

Since the calculations are now based on yours and client's addresses, we can no longer create our own sales tax rates when creating invoices. However, we still have an option to override it:

1. Open the invoice.
  2. Click the See the math hyperlink below Sales tax.
  3. You'll see the tax agency and standard rates applied to the invoice. You can click the pencil icon to do some changes.
  4. Go to the Tax Categories and Totals section and click Override this amount.
  5. Enter the Rate or the Amount and the Reason for changing it. Then, you can click Confirm.
  6. Click Close.
  7. Click Save and close.
  8. Select Yes to confirm the action.

To get the correct calculation for your invoices, it'd be best to follow the Steps 1-7 of this article: Set up and use automated sales tax in QuickBooks Online.

If you have additional clarifications about it, please let us know. Additional information would be much appreciated.

JerryTuff
Level 2

quickbooks app will not charge sales tax on IOS system, 

Tax is setup with Quickbooks Online, and works there.

We've did everthing suggested. Deleted app, refreshed, logged in and out. actually have tried multiple things for upwards of 4 hours on multiple devices. Need help for something we are paying for and even the chat line was no help! Frustrated!! 

Jen_D

Allow me to share some insights about this issue, @JerryTuff,

There is currently an ongoing issue with the QBO mobile app on IOS not charging Sales Tax. Our engineers are aware of this and the investigation is in place. We don't have the exact turn around time on when this will be fixed.

Rest assured, our support team sends live updates of the current status of the issue through email. To add your account to the notification list, I recommend contacting our Support Team. 

To contact us, follow these steps below:

1. Go to the (?) Help menu and click on Contact Us.
  2. Use the keyword Payroll, Account Management and Billing to get a live agent.
  3. On the next screen, scroll down to the Choose a way to connect with us section.
  4. Choose Start messaging to initiate a discussion with a live agent or Get a call for callbacks.

When using the messaging option, a small discussion box will open at the bottom right section of your monitor. An agent will be with you after filling in the information. See this:

Reach out to us during our operations hours. You will see it here: Support hours and type.

Provide this investigation number INV-54055 to our representatives so they can add your account there. 

We appreciate your patience while this is being worked on. Feel free to reach out back again if you have any questions about QuickBooks. I'm always here to help.

AARDWOLF1
Level 2

There is no Start of Tax Date available in QB Online.  Suggestions?

AARDWOLF1
Level 2

Let me just add that, on the invoice, you MUST check the "Taxable?" box at the end of each row/line-item that is to be taxed.  Obviously, things like mileage reimbursements don't get taxed.   We're a national services company, so we only collect sales tax for certain states that require it.  It's the little things.

michalsz2
Level 1

Hello Im running QBB 2016 for MAC and have the same problem. 6% sales tax box is on the bottom of the invoice but it wont calculate, just shows 0.00$, It worked in the past. Any ideas?

Regards

mike

JonpriL

Hello @jamie-larochelle

Let's run the QuickBooks Utility tools and fix the incorrect calculation of the sales tax when creating your customer's invoice. Let me show you how.

A. To Rebuild Data

1. Go to File.
  2. Click Utilities.
  3. Select Rebuild Data.
  4. Click OK.

B. To Verify Data

1. Go to File.
  2. Click Utilities.
  3. Select Verify Data.
  4. Click OK.

In addition, here's an article you can read to learn more about the QuickBooks tools: How to fix data damage on your QuickBooks Desktop company file?

Lastly, I've got you these helpful articles you can read for ideas about how you can manage your customers and sales transactions: Sales and Customers - QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.

If there's anything else that I can help you with, let me know in the comments. I'll be happy to help.

JerryTuff
Level 2

Still won't work, let me know when the engineers fix this problem. In the APP "ONLY" the master admin can charge sales tax on an invoice! Thanks!

Jerry

iampoolman
Level 1

I am having the same problem and did what you said but it did not correct it. Some of my invoices will calculate the tax and some will not. I check to see if each individual customer was mistakenly I checked as tax exam but that is not the case

Need to get in touch?

Contact us