cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member

Need labor costs to be included in job profitability reports

We are general contractors/remodelers. We use weekly time sheets to track each employee's labor for each customer:job. We invoice based on an estimate that does not include the actual time our employees spend on the job, but is based on an initial estimate that includes a flat fee for the work to be completed. So we do not bill labor (or materials for that matter) directly to the customer.

I want to be able to include our employees' labor in a job profitability report or profit and loss report for a job.

How can I include our labor costs (COG) in the total cost of the job to determine a jobs' profitability without directly billing the customer for their time?

1 Comment
QuickBooks Team

Re: Need labor costs to be included in job profitability reports

Greetings, @RedRenovations.

I'd like to provide some resources on how you can charge your customer for the actual time and costs for a job and include this in your jobs' profitability report.

If you have been tracking billable hours or expenses for a particular job, you can invoice your customer for your costs.

Here's how:

1. Go to Customers.
  2. Choose Create Invoices.
  3. Select the name of the of the job from the Customer:Job list.
  4. Click Time/Costs at the top of the window.
  5. Go to the tab for the kind of cost you want to include on the invoice:
    • Items
    • Mileage
    • Expenses
    • Time
  6. In the Use column, click next to each cost you want to include on the invoice.
  7. Click Ok.

That should do it! You can now run your Job Profitability report.

Please don't hesitate to visit us here in the Community if you have other questions about generating job related reports in QuickBooks Desktop. I'm always here to help.