cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Intuit

ODBC Driver FAQs

Want to know more about Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) driver and how it works for QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions? Here are answers to frequently asked questions about ODBC.

General Questions

What is the ODBC driver?

Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) is a standard application that allows different programs to communicate and exchange data with each other. Through ODBC, you can create spreadsheets in Excel, tables in Access, and create reports in Crystal Reports that reflect your real-time QuickBooks data.

You can also use this feature to design your own reports (even combining data from multiple company files), personalize invoices, create mail merges, etc. In addition, you can write your own queries using Structured Query Language (SQL).

The QODBC driver allows administrator access to your QuickBooks data using third-party applications such as Microsoft Excel, Access, or Crystal Reports.

Can I use the ODBC driver with my QuickBooks?

QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions

Intuit has formed an alliance with Intuit Developer Network member FLEXquarters to provide a read-only QODBC driver for QuickBooks data, allowing you to share data between QuickBooks and hundreds of other applications.

Note: Windows Servers (Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, etc) require the server-only driver which is not part of the read-only driver QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions comes with. For server only or additional functionality, you can upgrade to a read/write driver.
Fees may apply.

QuickBooks Pro/Premier

The read-only and read-write drivers are available for purchase for QuickBooks Pro or Premier from FLEXquarters. It is not necessary to upgrade to QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions to use the QODBC Driver.

How do I install the driver?

QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions

To begin the installation process for the driver, go to File > Utilities > Setup ODBC. Download and install QODBC.

QuickBooks Pro/Premier

You will need to purchase and download the driver from FLEXquarters. Download and install QODBC.

How do I update to the Read Write or Server driver?

The Read Write or Server version of the ODBC driver for QuickBooks is available for purchase from FLEXquarters.

How much is the pricing for the ODBC drivers?

QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions:

• Desktop Edition Read Only
Built in to the program.
  • Desktop Edition Read/Write

Price: $199.00 per machine

• Server Edition Read/Write

<>Price: </>$499.00 per server

For more pricing details, visit the QODBC website.

QuickBooks Pro or Premier:

• Desktop Edition Read Only
Price: $149.00 per machine
  • Desktop Edition Read/Write

Price: $199.00 per machine

• Server Edition Read/Write

Price: $499.00 per server

For more pricing details, visit the QODBC website.

Note: If you are working with the Read/Write driver, please contact FLEXquarters for technical support or use the free forum at: http://www.qodbc.com/QODBCAutoFAQ.htm.

Is all data accessible - including payroll?

Access to payroll data, multiple Ship To addresses, unit of measure and other information is not available due to the limitations from the QuickBooks Software Development Kit (SDK).

Support and Resource Questions

Can I contact QuickBooks Technical Support for assistance?

QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions:

QuickBooks support for the ODBC Driver is limited to installation and configuration of the ODBC driver for QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions (QBES). QBES will also assist in troubleshooting connection errors. For technical issues beyond the areas mentioned, please refer to the QODBC.com support site.
Fees may apply.

QuickBooks Pro or Premier:

Purchasing, Downloading and Technical Support is handled through FLEXquarters for QuickBooks Pro and QuickBooks Premier users.

Purchase the Read-Only, Read-Write or Web Server edition.
Download QODBC Driver for QuickBooks.
Free Technical Support Forum for QODBC.

Fees may apply.

What resources are available?

ODBC Read-Only Resources and QODBC.COM Knowledgebase is available for tutorials, troubleshooting, syntax and QODBC Support.

How do I set up QODBC in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access or Crystal Reports?

QODBC.com provides you detailed instructions to set up ODBC access to Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access or Crystal Reports. Click the application you are using for detailed set up instructions.