cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BBB9
Level 1

Previously I was able to enter a Customer name and the dropdown list would show what matched exactly what I typed. Now it takes too long to scroll and find what I want!

Also when I hit "Save and New" I have to use the mouse to move the cursor to the 'Customer' field.  Before it used to go there automatically.
9 Comments 9
Angelyn_T
QuickBooks Team

Previously I was able to enter a Customer name and the dropdown list would show what matched exactly what I typed. Now it takes too long to scroll and find what I want!

Hello there, @BBB9.

Basically, we'll be able enter a customer name in the customer field and it automatically populates/show under the drop-down list showing the name you've typed in. To search the customer's name in the Choose a customer or project field automatically, you may need to try the basic troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue.

First, access your account using a private browser or incognito window. You may use either of the following shortcut keys:

• Google Chrome, press CTRL  Shift N
  • Mozilla Firefox: press CTRL  Shift P
  • Internet Explorer: press CTRL  Shift P
  • Safari: press Command Shift N

If it works fine using a private browser, you may need to clear the cache of your regular browser. You can also try accessing your account using another supported browser to help us narrow down the cause of this unexpected behavior.

On the other hand, we have an ongoing issue with regards to hitting the Save and New tab and the cursor no longer auto-populates into the customer field like it used to. This issue has been reported to our engineers/product developers and they are currently working for an immediate fix.

As a workaround, you may need to click on the box or Tab multiple times.

Thank you for your patience. Stay in touch if you have any other QuickBooks concerns. Have a good day!

____
Level 2

In desktop version the dropdown list (in invoicing and payments) is not even alphabetized!!!  pretty useless if you ask me!  We used to be able to type in the first 3 or 4 letters (or more) to narrow the search and now are lucky if we can get 2 in before QB adjusts its parameters and forgets what was typed ( ie searching for "olson, ken" I would type "OL" and by the time I hit "S" QB readjusts and starts a listing of customers starting with "s" - I want to be able to type "olso" if I need to and not be limited to 2 letters - i am in wisconsin - we have a LOT of olson's for customers!!!

JanyRoseB
QuickBooks Team

Hi, @____.

I'm here to help ensure to alphabetized your customer's invoice and payment lists in QuickBooks Desktop. 

I'd like to acknowledge your effort in sharing very detailed information about your concern. I've checked my resources to verify if there's an on-going issue about the customer name list in QuickBooks Desktop, but we have no reports of any. 

I've also replicated this on my QuickBooks sample file, and the name of my customer will show up once I type the first 3 or 4 letters of their name. In this case, let's perform some troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue. You'll need to rebuild and verify the data in QuickBooks Desktop to remove the empty or damaged information from the file. 

Here's how to rebuild the data: 

1. At the top menu bar, click File.
  2. Select Utilities, and choose Rebuild Data.
  3. Click OK if you receive a prompt to backup your company file. Your computer may display the message QuickBooks is not responding. However, as long as you can see your mouse cursor to move, Rebuild is still ongoing. Wait for it to complete.
  4. Click OK when you get the message Rebuild has completed and process the next troubleshooting steps.

To verify the data in QuickBooks, you can follow the detailed steps in this article: Resolve data damage on your company file

If the same thing happens, you'll need to re-sort your customer's list by following the steps in this article: Re-sort lists.

This should get you on the right track. Please know that I'm just a post away if you have additional questions about the customer's list. Have a good one. 

____
Level 2

Same problem - already re-sorted and still happens, very annoying.  Used to be able to find customers and vendors in lists much quicker

Kristine Mae

Let's repair QuickBooks, ____. This fixes program-related issues.

Before doing the process, create a backup copy of your company file to avoid data loss. 

Here's how to repair QuickBooks:

1. Click the Windows icon, then go to Control Panel (In Windows 8/8.1: From the Start menu, open Search and type Control Panel. From the results, select Control Panel.)
  2. Select Programs and Features.
  3. Select QuickBooks, then click Uninstall/Change.
  4. Click Continue, then Next.
  5. Select Repair, then click Next.
  6. Wait for the repair to complete, then click Finish.
  7. Restart computer when prompted.

Once done, try to search for vendors and customers, and check if you're able to do so without any issues.

Get back to this thread if something comes up. We'd be happy to help you again. 

bleaton
Level 1

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. RESORTING, REBUILDING, AND REPAIRING DO NOT FIX THE ISSUE. 

bleaton
Level 1

I have the same issue. they changed something in the program for the worst when it comes to this feature. 

GlinetteC

Let's try another troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue, bleaton.

You can try uninstalling and reinstalling QuickBooks Desktop. Please note to create a backup copy of your file before doing the process to avoid any data loss.

This article will provide you the detailed steps on how to reinstall QBDT. If you'll encounter errors during the installation, you can fix them by using this link for your reference.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the process. I'll make sure to answer them.

wer1
Level 1

Having the same problem now for 3 or 4 years.  Very frustrating.  If I am in Customer List and hit B it goes down to the S's usually.  QuickBooks please fix this problem.  As big as Intuit QB is, you should be able to correct this problem.  Also Please make it to where you can print statements starting at any point in the alphabet you might need to start at.  As it is right now you can print all or pick individually each name but if your printer messes up or if you want to print A-J today and K-Z tomorrow.....YOU CAN'T.    Please fix this.

Wanda 

IBC

TN

Need to get in touch?

Contact us