cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Set Up Product Categories

I use QB Desktop Premier Manufacturing & Wholesale.  The Item name field is set up using our product UPC (12 digit code).  

I have called in asking for help with little new info.  I have researched best practices and can't find much information.  If info is available it applies to QB Online.  

Is there a good resource for best practices in setting up the item list?  It would be wonderful if I could reconfigure my products so that categories can be used.  Seeing sales reports at a 30,000 foot view with product categories instead of individual items would be wonderful.  Does anyone have any advice for this?  Any direction would be appreciated!

Solved
Best answer April 23, 2019

Best Answers
Anonymous
Not applicable

My 2 cents -

• UPC codes are great for computers but poor for people.  Create alpha-numeric part numbers that mean something.  Put the item upc code in the 'mnfg part number' field.
  • Items can be nested like accounts.  Create items for the 'type categories' and then crete sub-items for the actual active items you buy-sell.  Never buy-sell a 'header item'.
  • Items link to accounts and accounts are used to generate most common financial reports.  That means the hierarchy you create for sorting and reporting item based info can be different from the hierarchy you use to report financial info.
  • Do similar organization of your accounts - including creating header accounts for grouping similar types of entries.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

My 2 cents -

• UPC codes are great for computers but poor for people.  Create alpha-numeric part numbers that mean something.  Put the item upc code in the 'mnfg part number' field.
  • Items can be nested like accounts.  Create items for the 'type categories' and then crete sub-items for the actual active items you buy-sell.  Never buy-sell a 'header item'.
  • Items link to accounts and accounts are used to generate most common financial reports.  That means the hierarchy you create for sorting and reporting item based info can be different from the hierarchy you use to report financial info.
  • Do similar organization of your accounts - including creating header accounts for grouping similar types of entries.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much!  This is extremely helpful!!! 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us