cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jazzieeb
Level 1

Some entries came in as received deposits instead of spent/expenses, how can I change them?

18 Comments 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some entries came in as received deposits instead of spent/expenses, how can I change them?

Hi, @jazzieeb.

Thanks for posting in the Community. I'm here to help determine how to handle these entries in QuickBooks.

If you're referring to the expenses that appear as a deposit on your Banking page, then you'll need to exclude them. Those were transmitted to QuickBooks by your financial institution, and QuickBooks doesn't have control over them. You can refer to this helpful article for the steps: How to exclude expenses from downloaded bank transactions.

The last thing that you’ll want to do is manually record these transactions in QuickBooks so that you can still successfully reconcile your bank account.

That should get you on the right track. Please let me know if you have other questions. I'm here to help.

mikeg99
Level 1

I had to import my data from csv files.  all of the 2018 bank records that I imported are showing as deposits not as expenses.  So How do I change them to spent or expenses?

Kristine Mae

I can help you change it to expenses, Mikeg99.

QuickBooks Online uses 2 CSV template formats:

• 3-Column
  • 4 Column

If you're using the 3-Column format, make sure the expense amount is negative. Refer to the screenshot below.

Then, if you're using the 4-Column format, the payment/expense amount is under the Credit column. I've also attached a screenshot as your reference.

For more information, please check this article: How to import bank transactions using Excel CSV files.

Since the transactions are already imported, you can exclude the incorrect entries, then re-import them correctly.

Don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have more questions.

rodunn
Level 1

On a similar note to Kristine I connected a First Citizens Bank account to quickbooks online.

I have two accounts:

1) Business

2) Personal

I have the Business account connected to my Quickbooks online.

I wrote a check from the business account checkbook.

I then did a mobile deposit to my personal account.

The next day when the accounts had reconciled and I did an update from Quickbooks it showed two transactions:

1) It showed a "spent" item in the "For Review" section of the Banking account

and

2) It also showed a "receive" for the exact same amount

From reading the post I get that I can "Exclude" the items but it seems like a bug to begin with on how the bank is sending the data to quickbooks online when I do a sync/refresh.

Would that be on the Quickbooks side or the bank sending side?

rodunn
Level 1

You can gladly ignore my dumb post. After further inspection it appears as though I didn't log out of the bank app to switch back to my personal account to make the deposit. So I actually deposited and credited the same check to the same account. Duh.

jennyrice262
Level 1

So this is happening every month to like half of my deposits.  The deposits come through as money spent and that is not okay.  I have talked to the bank and they say it is not their fault and I have talked to QBO and of course it is not their fault.  So it must be my fault but I don't know what I am doing wrong.

So my understanding is that I need to exclude the deposits while they are in review and reload them to my QBO from the bank.  Is that what you are saying?  I know how to exclude.  How do I reload from the bank?  And since this has gone on so long can I do back months?

MaryGraceS

Hello there, @jennyrice262.

This isn't the kind of experience we want you to have, and I'm here to make it up with you.

Constant security updates, connectivity issues, and data transmission interruptions are possible reasons behind the unusual behavior. When this happens, you can exclude the expenses showing as deposits on the For Review tab and re-import them using the correct format. 

After that, download the last 90 days or more transactions from your bank to get your banking transactions back to bank feeds. You may refer to the following article for the detailed steps, as well as how to categorize and reconcile them after upload: Manually upload transactions into QuickBooks Online.

Let me know if you have more questions about this. I'll be happy to help you some more.

justnewlistings
Level 1

I need someone to look at my QB and tell me what to do.  half my expenses were deposits and my CSV files that I imported seemed correct although they came with more than 3 or 4 columns up front. I need a real person Wednesday to give me some direction .  My fear is that the 5 hours of work I did just now was all for nothing and I have to start over from scratch.

Why can't I just go take the "deposits" and edit them individually to be expenses? I do not see that option when viewing the expense summaries.

JonpriL

Hello @justnewlistings,

You'll have to manually map your CSV file so it matches according to the QuickBooks fields. This way, the amounts of your transactions will be posted into the correct deposit or expense columns.

To do so:

1. Go to Banking.
  2. Under Update, select File Upload.
  3. Find and open your transactions saved in a CSV file.
  4. Select your bank account.
  5. On the Amount section, select the columns according to your CSV file. Note that the Money Spent is for your expenses while the Money Received is your deposits. 
  6. Click Let's go!.

Here's an article you can read to learn more about how you can manually upload your transactions: Manually upload transactions into QuickBooks Online.

I've also included this article that'll help you handle categorize your transaction after uploading them: Download, match, and categorize your bank transactions in QuickBooks Online.

If there's anything else that I can help you with, please let me know in the comment section down below. I'm happy to lend a helping hand.

asole
Level 2

I am having the same issue, I dont understand why QB would not just allow me to manually change them from Money Received to Money Spent. Seems such a quick and easy thing to do that way, just as it allows changing a transaction from one account/category to another. (This would also work for simple manual mistakes.) The fact that something is classified as Money Spent or Money Received, and then LOCKED, forcing users to delete and re-add, seems a pretty stupid thing to me.

Archie_B
QuickBooks Team

Thank you for letting us know, asole.

It's a good idea to manually reclassify each transaction. There are different ways to manage your transactions in QuickBooks Online.

In QuickBooks Online Accountant and QuickBooks Online Advanced, you do have the reclassify tool to change or move transactions at once. 

If you're using QuickBooks Online Advanced, you can follow these steps below to reclassify some transactions:

1. Sign in to your QuickBooks Online account.
  2. Go to the Gear icon.
  3. Select Reclassify Transactions.
  4. From the Account types drop-down menu, select Profit and Loss to see income and expense accounts.
  5. On the Account list, the account with the transactions you want to change.
  6. Use these type, class, customer/vendor, and modify filters to filter the list. and then click on Find Transactions.
  7. Then hit Reclassify.
  8. You can now change and select the account, class, and location.
  9. When you're ready, select Apply.

I've added this link for more information about it: How to reclassify transactions in QuickBooks Online Advanced.

Otherwise, if you're using QBO Essentials, or Plus, you can follow the steps given by my colleague above on how to map transactions.

You can also check out this article to learn how to manage transactions downloaded directly from your bank: Categorize and match online bank transactions in QuickBooks Online.

Let me know if you still have questions or clarifications about banking. I'll be here to help. Keep safe.

asole
Level 2

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I dont have QB Advanced, I have the essentials beause I dont need any of the additional Advanced functionalities. This "fixing and importation issue" doesnt seem to me to be a functionality that should only be available in the more expensive versions, especially when it's caused by an error that is entirely out of my control- its a QB to Bank issue. If I had  not connected the accounts and just uploaded the bank transactions, I would not have this issue.

AbegailS_
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @asole

Thanks for getting back to us. Allow me to address your concern, so let me get this straightened out.

QuickBooks rely on the downloaded transactions from your bank. You can contact your bank about the uploaded entries. Money received and money spent are two different transactions. Thus, they can't be changed in QuickBooks

In the meantime, you can exclude a bank transaction you downloaded into QuickBooks Online and have it manually recorded. 

You can also use Web Connect, a connection method in which the transaction download is initiated by visiting the financial institution's website and downloading the file containing the transaction information.

You have the option to map the fields correctly before importing the file. Please ensure to review the transactions before uploading to avoid duplicates. 

Here's how to manually map CSV file so it matches according to the QuickBooks fields:

1. Go to Banking.
  2. Under Update, select File Upload.
  3. Find and open your transactions saved in a CSV file.
  4. Select your bank account.
  5. On the Amount section, select the columns according to your CSV file. Note that the Money Spent is for your expenses while the Money Received is your deposits. 
  6. Click Let's go!

I've also included this article that'll help you handle categorize your transaction after uploading them: Download, match, and categorize your bank transactions in QuickBooks Online.

Please don't hesitate to comment below if you need anything. I'll be here to help. Take care.

asole
Level 2

Ok... Honestly, the ability to manually fix these basic errors should be a super basic functionality of a bookkeeping software. QB allows the user to change a transaction from an Expense account to an Income account (or rather, from any type of account to any other), but it doesn't allow the user to change when it is Money Spent vs Money Received, which limits the possibilities and forces the end user to delete and re-do transactions. Not a "huge" deal, but a pretty stupid non-functionality of the system. 

PCTC
Level 1

They are not answering your question. I would agree this should be a fairly standard feature. The recommendations they are providing don't even correspond to what you are asking.

TheSailingChannel
Level 2

For several months, QBO stopped importing my PNC bank data. So I needed to manually import and ran into the DEPOSIT only problem. Export from PNC gave me a column that labeled each transaction as DEBIT or CREIT. QBO did NOT like this. After several hours of frustration, dropped phone calls with support and cluelessness from my bank, I found this thread.

After IGNORING the incorrect DEPOSITS, I reconfigured my csv file to show negative numbers for EXPENSES and positive for DEPOSITS. i reimported just the negative EXPENSES. QBO accepted these properly. Now i will use this CSV config to import 3 more months of missing bank data.

QBO could have short cut this problem with an explanation on it's import page about the detail of this process. But I guess that's too much to ask since customer time spent on these crazy problems is much less valuable than QBO profits. /s

TheSailingChannel
Level 2

And don't forget to EXCLUDE a credit card payment from your CVS. It will NOT come in properly. Instead, use NEW, PAY DOWN CREDIT Card for QBO to enter the correct transactions.

RoseJillB
QuickBooks Team

I heard your sentiments about the functionality you mentioned above, TheSailing.

That would also be a great feature for the product to add additional details on how you can manually import the transactions and configure your file before importing this. The option will lessen the time taken during the process. Thus, I recommend you send this suggestion directly to our product development team.

Please know that the approval for this suggestion will depend on the number of requests and could be possibly added to later editions. You can accomplish this by following the instructions listed below on a web browser:

1. Go to the Gear icon.
  2. Select Feedback.
  3. Enter a brief description of your product suggestion.
  4. Click Next to submit feedback.

On the other hand, we’ll take note of your experience with our support to ensure the quality of our service.

Moreover, we regularly take your suggestions into account while updating our products. In this, you can track the progress of your feature request in our Feedback forum.

If you have more questions about QuickBooks, please let me know by commenting below. Have a good one!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us