cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Britta_Peterson
Level 1

Sorting an inventory report by similar items

Is there a way to run an item listing report and sort it by similar items? Such as grouping all thermostats together, all wire together, all TVs together, all speakers together, etc.? For context, I am trying to clean up years worth of people at my company not using correct items on invoices, thus giving me a completely inaccurate inventory count on most of our items. I would like to group similar items together so I can get some information based on our inventory counts. All of our purchase orders are correct after having worked on that for the past few months. If I can take a look at, say thermostats, and I see that we have 10 of one kind in stock, but -3 of another and -7 on another, that will give me a good idea of what I need to change on the corresponding invoices.

1 Comment 1
JanyRoseB
QuickBooks Team

Sorting an inventory report by similar items

Hello there, Britta_Peterson

Thanks for reaching out to us. I'm here to provide some insights about the report you need in QuickBooks Desktop.

QuickBooks doesn't have an option to pull up the item listing report and sort it to similar items. However, if you created sub-item for each similar items, you can pull up the Sales by Item Detail report. This will show you the invoice transactions for each item. 

Here's how:

1. At the top menu bar, click Reports.
  2. Select Sales.
  3. Click Sales by Item Detail
  4. Change the date range. 

If you need to customize the report, you can follow the steps in this article for the detailed steps: Customize reports in QuickBooks Desktop

If you need further assistance with the steps from our live support, I recommend contacting our QuickBooks Desktop Support Team. They have the tools to pull up your account and do a remote session.

Here's how you can contact our live support:

1. Follow the Official Intuit Contact link.
  2. Select your QuickBooks product.
  3. Select an issue type from the menu below, you need only to select two options for the contact information to appear.
  4. Click Start a message at the bottom.

Don't hesitate to leave a comment if you have additional questions about the Sales by Item Detail report. I'll be around to help. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us