cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikepwilson
Level 1

The W9 link I send to contractors does not work. It shows up in email but the link does not work. Why is this happening?

7 Comments 7
MaryGraceS

The W9 link I send to contractors does not work. It shows up in email but the link does not work. Why is this happening?

Hello there, mikepwilson.

Thank you for reaching out to the QuickBooks Community. I'll be happy to help share some information about how your contractors can fill-up their W-9 form.

May I ask how did you send the W-9 link to your contractors? Did you send an invite to add their own 1099 tax info? If so, may I ask if they get an error message?

When you add a contractor in QuickBooks Online, they'll receive an invitation to add their own details in a substitute to W-9 form. Your contractors will get their free version of QuickBooks Self-Employed to access their information and view 1099s online.

Here's how to send an invite to existing contractors:

1. On the left pane, select Expenses.
  2. At the top left, select the Vendors tab.
  3. Find and select the contractor's name.
  4. Click Edit.
  5. Remove Business ID No., and then select Save.
  6. On the left pane, select Workers.
  7. At the top left, select the Contractors tab.
  8. Select the contractor's name.
  9. Click Send email.

For more details about inviting a contractor, you can check this article: Invite a contractor to add their own 1099 tax info.

Feel free to let me know if you get to try the steps or if you're referring to something else. Any other details you can provide when sending the W-9 link would be helpful too.

jstein93
Level 1

Hi Quickbooks the contractor I sent info to put in their social and it isn't working. Can you help? Here is screenshot. He puts in info and it won't save.

Josh

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good day, @jstein93,

I appreciate your time getting in touch today. I want to make sure you're contractor completes his W-9 information.

I checked if there's an ongoing issue about the register's column size changing but there isn't currently one. In the meantime, you can have them try the steps using a private browser. Use these keyboard shortcuts:

Google Chrome: press Ctrl Shift N  
Mozilla Firefox: press Ctrl Shift P
Internet Explorer: press Ctrl Shift P
Safari: press Command Shift N

If they can complete the interview in the private window, you can shift back to your regular browser (Ctrl N) and clear its cache. In case private browsing fails, let's try switching to a different browser. I need to check if the browser settings is causing the error to appear.

You can also delete and re-add the contractor in QuickBooks so you can send a brand new interview link.

Let me know how this goes or if you have any other questions. I'll be glad to help you whenever you needed assistance. Have a good day!

jstein93
Level 1

Okay thank you - my next question is that I am preparing the 1099s and the total amount for my contractors is coming up as Box 3 instead of Box 7? How do I fix that? Do I need to change something in quickbooks so it classifies as income for box 7? 

RenjolynC
QuickBooks Team

Hi jstein93,

Let's check if the accounts are mapped to the correct box by following these steps:

1. On the left panel, click Expenses.
  2. Select Vendors and click the Prepare 1099s button.
  3. Click the Continue your 1099s button, then go to the Accounts section.
  4. Un-check the accounts on Box 3.
  5. Put a check mark on Box 7, and choose the accounts.
  6. Click Next until you're finish preparing the 1099s.

You can also check this article for more information: E-file Through the 1099 E-File Service (QuickBooks Online).

If you have any additional questions about QuickBooks, please let us know. Thanks.

jstein93
Level 1

Thanks I think I figured it out. I had to upgrade to quickbooks online plus or something and then was able to change the mapping? or was able to do this on quickbooks essential as well? If so how do I downgrade my subscription?

Catherine_B
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back to us, Josh. 

Yes, you can change the 1099 mapping in your old account. This option is available in all versions of QuickBooks Online.

Take note that there are requirements to meet before you can downgrade an account. Please open this article for more details on how to downgrade your QuickBooks Online subscription

Let us know if you have other concerns. I'll be around to help you. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us