cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Explorer *

Totaling each item in account

Is there a way for each item in an account to be shown once with total quantity rather than show each individual transaction for that item? We want each account to show a total quantity and total amount as I have it but would like to be summarized for each item such as the file I have attached where it shows IV Treatment 5 individual times.  Can that be only shown once with a quantity of 5?  I have tried to get it summarized but having no luck.

7 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Totaling each item in account

Thank you for all the details you've provided, WOVC.

Yes, there's a way to show each item the total quantity and amount for each account.

Here's how:

On the Procedure Charge Summary page;

1. Click the Customize Report button.
  2. Select the Filters tab.
  3. On the Search filters box, enter Detail Level.
  4. Click on Summary only button.
  5. Once done, click OK.

Feel free to post here again if you have further concerns. Have a good one!

Frequent Explorer *

I just tried that but then it shows a blank report. 

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @WOVC.

Thanks for getting back and sharing how the steps provided went. Let me step in and share additional details about pulling up a Custom Summary report.

You'll need to make sure that the display column and row show the Account list and Item detail. On your Custom Summary report, select this option on the Display folder and click the drop-down arrow for the column choices. Please see attached screenshot below.

Let me know how it goes after trying this out. If you need further assistance with the steps, please don't hesitate to contact our Desktop Care Support.

Here's how you can reach them:

1. On your QuickBooks, press F1 and select Contact us.
  2. Type in your concern and click the Search tab.
  3. Click the Start a Message tab to get in touch with the chat support.

Don't hesitate to keep in touch with us again if you have additional questions about customizing this report. I'll be here to help.

Frequent Explorer *

I had customized a report that had the option under columns to total by: Account List.  We need the total for each account for our bookkeeping.  Not many reports had that option and the one I used to be able to do that doesn't have the display columns by and display rows options.  Is there a way to both have the total by Account List and also summarize the individual items by totaling each.  I attached what customize settings I have.

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back to us in the Community, @WOVC.

Allow me to chime in for a moment and share some information about the custom report that you need in QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT).

The display columns and rows options are only available in the custom summary reports. Since you don't have these, you might have pulled up or used a custom transaction detail report.

In this case, the option to summarize the individual items by totaling each of them is currently unavailable. However, you can export the report to Excel and manually change it from there. This can be done by clicking the Excel tab at the top, then select Create New Worksheet.

10.PNG

I can see how having this feature would helpful for you and your business. Rest assured, I'm going to submit a feature request from my side, which is sent to the Product Development Team. They're constantly looking for great ideas from users, like yourself, when deciding how to enhance QuickBooks.

Just in case, you can also check out this article for future reference: Customize reports in QuickBooks Desktop.

That should answer your concern for today. Post again here in the Community if you have any follow-up questions. I'll be here if you need further assistance. Take care and have a wonderful rest of the day!

Frequent Explorer *

I did try to export to Excel and that works but that is very time consuming to go through pages of several reports and do that to each item, so that does work but I don't know if we want to have to do that each month.  Thank you for submitting that feature request because that would be much easier.  

Also, speaking of feature requests,  I had put it through the feedback option, but I will mention it again.  Would love to see the statements showing the Item Description.  We are using A/R Statements add in through Excel to print our statements.  Our clients are used to seeing each transaction description on our statements from our old software.  It would be great and also much easier if they showed more.  Thanks again.

QuickBooks Team

Delighted to hear again from you, @WOVC.

I appreciate you for taking your time in getting back to us and for sharing how the troubleshooting steps provided to you works your end.

With QuickBooks Desktop, you always have the ability to filter the data you've want to be included on the report you want to generate.

Stay in touch with us here in the Community if you have other questions about generating reports in QuickBooks Desktop. I'm always here to help.