cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RenoByMar
Level 1

Traveling expenses

How do I find/setup this on QuickBooks? I would like to deduct my car maintenance, fuel...everything with my work truck. 

5 Comments 5
SophiaAnnL

Traveling expenses

A new account is all you need to record travel expenses, RenoByMar.

You can set up an Expense account in your Chart of Accounts. Then, use this to deduct your car maintenance, fuel, and etc.

Here's how:

1. Click Accounting on the left panel.
  2. Select Chart of Accounts.
  3. Click the New button on the upper right-hand corner.
  4. In the Account window, select Expenses under Account Type.
  5. Enter the Detail Type, and the Name.
  6. Click OK.

Lastly, create an Expense transaction and select the account that you created.

Like this:

1. Click the Plus icon.
  2. Under Vendors, click Expense.
  3. Enter the payee's name.
  4. In the Account details section, enter the account.
  5. Enter the amount that you need to deduct.
  6. Click Save.

I'll be right here if you have more questions.

dee730
Level 2

Traveling expenses

hi, would booking fees for travel be posted to a separate account or would it all be with travel? thank you

AileneA
QuickBooks Team

Traveling expenses

Welcome to the Community space, dee730.

We can create a new Expense account in your chart of account to record the travel fees. Also. to keep track of your transaction, you can use the sub-account of any main (or “parent”) account.  Use them to keep your chart of accounts organized and make more detailed reports for a specific account: Let me show you how: 

1. Click the Gear icon ⚙ and then Chart of Accounts.
  2. Tap New to create a new account. 
  3. In the Account Type ▼ drop-down arrow, and select Expenses
  4. Under Detail Type drop-down arrow, and choose Travel
  5. Give you new account Name
  6. Mark check the Is sub-account box, and select the parent account. 
  7. Click Save and Close

news.PNG

news1.PNG

news2.PNG

For more detailed information on how to dd sub-accounts you can refer to these articles: 

That's it. This should help you point in the right direction. Let me know if you  have further questions. I'll be here to answer them. Have a great day!

King-Brown
Level 2

Traveling expenses

Hello @RenoByMar 

I believe your question is misplaced because QBs has Expense Accounts set up in Chart of Accounts for automobile repair, gas and anything auto that doesn't belong in Travel Expenses. I came across this post looking for the same answer with the knowledge travel expenses apply to business air travel, hotel and/or car rentals while looking for where to apply parking fees and tolls as was told don't belong in Travel Expenses leading changing them to *6130 - Car/Truck Expense which doesn't make sense because they are travel produced. These expense codes should apply unless your QB version is different and/or already found your answer.

*6130 - Car/Truck Expense

*6132 - Gas

*6134 - Auto Repairs and Maintenance

*6136 - Registration and License

*6180 - Insurance

*6184 - Auto Insurance

I hope someone can answer my question for answering this one as was trying to kill two in one.

ReymondO
QuickBooks Team

Traveling expenses

Thank you for joining the thread and adding clarifications, @King-Brown.

Yes, you're right. The availability of expense codes for setting an account will depend on the QuickBooks product you're using.

For QuickBooks Desktop, you have to manually create an expense account for parking fees and tolls. The Car/Truck Expense account you were provided is not a system account. Therefore, someone who has an access to your company file might created it.

To create an account for parking fees and tolls, simply follow these steps:

1. Go to List and select Chart of Accounts.
  2. Click the Account drop-down list and choose New.
  3. Select the Expense button and click Continue.
  4. Name the account as parking fees and tolls, then add a description. You can also include it as a sub-account for your Car/Truck Expense account.
  5. Click Save & Close.

Additionally, you can reach to your accountant for further advice in setting up your account in QuickBooks Desktop. This way, we can ensure that your records are accurate. 

For more details, you can check out this article:  How to add, edit, or delete accounts from your chart of accounts in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows.

Let me know if you need further assistance with this. I'm always around to provide answers and clarifications to your questions. Have a great day ahead and take care.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us