cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chelsealmyers
Level 1

What is the best way to go about cleaning up old invoices that were paid, but not recorded, that go back a few years?

10 Comments 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the best way to go about cleaning up old invoices that were paid, but not recorded, that go back a few years?

Were the receipts entered and banks reconciled?
chelsealmyers
Level 1

I honestly don't know what happened but i'm guessing not. These date back to 2016 and 2017 before I came on board. Mid 2017 we switched to online from desktop, and all the invoices with unrecorded payments filtered over.

FritzF

Hi there, @chelsealmyers.

Thanks for dropping by the Community. Allow me to jump in for a moment and share some information about clearing up old invoices that were paid, but not recorded in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

Since you've converted from QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) to QBO, it's possible that these were entered as a journal entry (JE). The only piece of information that isn't converted is a JE's billable status; you can't make them billable in QBO. You can check out this article for more information: What data doesn't convert from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online?

If that's the case, let's pull up the transaction list by customer report to search for the payments and link them to the open invoices. Here's how:

1. Go to Reports menu at the left pane, then enter transaction list by customer on the search bar.
2. Click the Customize option, then select your preferred date on the General section.
3. On the Rows/Column drop-down, put a checkmark in the Open Balance checkbox.
4. On the Filter drop-down, choose Payments on the Transaction Type.
5. Hit Run report.

82.PNG83.PNG84.PNG

Once pull up, click each unapplied payments and link them to their corresponding invoices.

That should point you in the right direction. Please let me know how it goes by leaving a comment on this thread. I'm only a post away if you have any follow-up questions about the process. Have a good one!

Bookkeeper11012018
Level 1

I don't have unapplied payments.  The payments were deposited and posted to Services in a lump sum to the income statement.

I want to clear the invoices that I know were paid without applying payments.  I was going to do a journal entry but when I run a cash basis balance sheet a negative balance for the amount of the J/E shows up in the A/R and Accrual basis balance sheet is fine; the A/R is reduced based on the J/E.  What kind of entry can I make to have the cash basis balance sheet A/R be zero?  My journal entry is debit to Income statement and credit to A/R with the name of the customer selected.  The income statement is fine, Cash basis and Accrual basis.

Candice C
QuickBooks Team

Hey @Bookkeeper11012018

It's always nice to see a new face here in the Community. To receive the best solution to your question about what kind of entry you need to make, I recommend consulting with an accountant to be sure. They'd be able to give you the best accounting advice for your unique business. If you don't have an accountant, then you can look into our QuickBooks Live opportunity to get the help you need.  Here's an article that can provide more information about Journal Entries as well. 

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I value you and the success of your business. Bye for now!

Lindsey B
Level 1

Did you ever find an answer on how to do this?  We have a similar situation with invoices that were imported into QB online but the bank account information started after these invoices had been paid so they are still showing due when they have actually been paid.

Level 1

I have the same problem.

Has anyone found the solution? 

AileneA
QuickBooks Team

Hello, 193514729992239. 

In QuickBooks, you can transfer much of the information from your company file without having to re-enter it manually. However, some data won’t convert won’t be automatically transferred when you migrate from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online.   

To learn more about how your books convert from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online and its limitation, please check out this article: What to expect when you switch from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online.  

So, I suggest reaching out to our customer support team. They'll be able to pull up your account in a secure environment and help you navigate using one of their tools.   

1. Go to the Help icon.
  2. Choose Talk to a human.
  3. Enter "Talk to a human" again in the search bar.
  4. Select I still need a human, then click Contact us.
  5. Choose a way to connect with us.  

Also, I’m adding a guide that lists our support hours and calls me back options to fit our customers' schedules: Support hours and types.   

Let me know if you need further assistance with this. I'm always around to provide answers and clarifications to your questions. Have a great day ahead and take care.

Tanya20
Level 1

Did you find a solution?

Maybelle_S
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @Tanya20.

Have you tried following the steps given above? If so and the issue persists, I'd recommend getting in touch with our Customer Support Team. This way, they can pull up your account in a secure environment and help check you navigate using their tools.

To reach them, you can follow the steps given by my colleague @AileneA. You can also check this link for reference: QuickBooks Online Support.

Additionally, I've added an article that provides reports that give you different aspects of your business: Run reports in QuickBooks Online.

Feel free to leave a comment below if you need anything else managing your customer's invoices. I'm more than happy to help.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us