cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Explorer **
Solved

Why are deposits showing up in Not Specified when I run an Expenses by Vendor Summary?

I've checked and the names being used on the deposits are customers, not vendors. There are also transactions with an employee name showing up on the same report.

Best answer 01-23-2019 05:08 PM

Accepted Solutions
QuickBooks Team

Re: Why are deposits showing up in Not Specified when I run an Expenses by Vendor Summary?

Hello @patp3005,

I'm here to give you information about the Not Specified amount on your Expenses by Vendor Summary report.

The amounts under the Not Specified column are those amounts which aren't assigned to the filter you've chosen in the Display columns by drop-down menu.

For example, if you've chosen Location, the amounts under Not Specified come from those transactions that don't have location assignments. Same goes if you've chosen Class. The amounts you'll see under Not Specified means those transactions don't have class assignments.

You can specify the category of the amount by drilling down the report. Just click on the amount until you'll be able to open the transaction, then assign a category (class or location, depending on the need).

I'm just a post away if you have any other questions.

3 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Why are deposits showing up in Not Specified when I run an Expenses by Vendor Summary?

Hello @patp3005,

I'm here to give you information about the Not Specified amount on your Expenses by Vendor Summary report.

The amounts under the Not Specified column are those amounts which aren't assigned to the filter you've chosen in the Display columns by drop-down menu.

For example, if you've chosen Location, the amounts under Not Specified come from those transactions that don't have location assignments. Same goes if you've chosen Class. The amounts you'll see under Not Specified means those transactions don't have class assignments.

You can specify the category of the amount by drilling down the report. Just click on the amount until you'll be able to open the transaction, then assign a category (class or location, depending on the need).

I'm just a post away if you have any other questions.

Frequent Explorer **

Very helpful explanation, thank you! Just to be sure I understand - If I go to the Reports tab and select Expenses by Vendor Summary and make no customizations to that report, the same 'rules' as you've described will apply to that report? I expected QBO to identify transactions with vendors (checks, credit card charges, etc.) and tell me which transactions didn't have a vendor name input on the transaction. But that isn't really what it's doing, right?

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, patp3005.

Allow me to step in and help provide additional information about the reports in QuickBooks.

Yes, running the Expenses by Vendor Summary report will automatically show you the transactions with no vendor name attached as Not Specified.

I'm adding a screenshot below for your reference:

Thanks for dropping in, I look forward to hearing from you.