cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tcels1
Level 1

Why are invoices showing as overdue when they are paid?

5 Comments 5
David-212915
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for posting in the Community, @tcels1. I'd be glad to help with determining why an invoice is showing overdue. 

Just to clarify, when you're looking at the Transaction List on the Customer's Page, is there a non-zero amount in the Balance column? Additionally, it would be helpful to know if the Status column is showing as overdue for this transaction on the page. 

I've included a screenshot to serve as a visual reference:

Should there be an amount in the Balance column, you may want to review your payments from the customer to ensure that it hasn't been applied to an incorrect invoice. For an overview of customer payments, please see the following article: How to Record a Customer Payment.

I want to determine why this is occurring, so please feel free to post an update of what you find. Take care. 

tcels1
Level 1

For some reason, the pmts were going in as deposits rather than pmts - you'd think they would show up the same way but they don't.  So I deleted all the deposits and re-entered them as pmts and now they are fine - thanks!  

David-212915
QuickBooks Team

You're most welcome, @tcels1.

I appreciate you following up with me and am glad to hear that it's now resolved. Removing the deposits and entering payments is certainly one way to fix such a scenario. I'm also including an article about linking a deposit to an invoice should you ever need it in the future: How to Link a Deposit to an Invoice.

The Community always has your back, so don't hesitate to let me know if I can be of additional assistance. Cheering you to continued prosperity. 

kraurus98
Level 1

Could you elaborate a little more on what you did? We seem to have the same problem. Every time we take payment by credit card using the go payment it goes to deposit and not payment and the invoices show overdue. I have one invoice now that has two deposits and two payments because someone did something or other. How do I get it back toe just one payment being received? Thanks

FritzF

Thanks for joining this conversation, @kraurus98.

To elaborate more about what was discussed above, the invoice will remain unpaid if the payment was entered through Bank Deposit instead of Receive Payment. There are two ways to fix this. The first option is to delete the deposit and enter the payment as mentioned above.

Here's how:

1. Go to the Accounting menu on the left pane, then Chart of Accounts.
2. Click View Register on the account where the payment was deposited.

101.PNG
3. Find the deposit and select Delete.

102.PNG

To receive the payment:

1. Click the Plus icon at the upper right, then pick Receive Payment under Customer column.

103.PNG
2. Choose the Customer's name on the drop-down and put a checkmark on the invoice.
3. Hit Save and close.

The second option is to link the deposit to the invoice:

1. Select the Deposit again on the Register, then Edit.

104.PNG
2. On the Add funds to this deposit section.
3. Locate the payment and choose the Customer's name on the Received From column.
4. Pick Accounts Receivable on the Account column.
5. Hit Save and close.

That should point you in the track. For additional resources, check out these articles:

Keep me posted on how everything goes in the comment section. I'll be happy to help should you need anything else. Have a great day!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us