cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danielle_shopnig
Level 1

Why isn't there a Sales Order option on the QB online version?

146 Comments 146
ReaM
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, danielle_shopnig,

QuickBooks Online (QBO) doesn't have a Sales Order option. However, you can create an Estimate as a replacement and later on, convert into invoices. Both are non-posting transactions and will not be included on the Profit & Loss report.

Sales Orders help you record sales of products & services your customer orders. It then allows you to keep track of multiple orders & then combine them on a single invoice. On the other hand, an Estimate is a proposal for something for a specific price that you can turned into an invoice.

You also have the option to rename the transaction form from Estimate to Sales Order. You'll create an Estimate but your customer will receive a Sales Order. Here's how:

1. Go to the Gear icon, then select Custom Form Styles.
  2. Locate the Estimate form, then under Action column, click Edit.
  3. Select the Content tab, then click the Title section of the form.
  4. Replace the Form names from estimate to Sales Order.
  5. Click the Done button.

I've attached screenshots below for your reference.

Please don't hesitate to leave a comment if you have further concerns about QuickBooks Online features. I'm just around if you need help.

fcalero
Level 1

Hello, I was reviewing this answer and it looks great but, I would like to know if I do the estimate does it deduct the pieces from the inventory so I know how many pieces are left, or this will only happen after I invoice.

Thank you 

Fernando

JonpriL

You're absolutely correct, @fcalero!

Allow me to share a little more information about creating an estimate.

@ReaM is correct. In addition, creating an estimate happens when you're giving a proposal of items or services to your customers. With this, the quantity of your inventory items is not affected. This also allows you to create an invoice, once your customer agrees with your proposal.

If you haven't created one yet, let me show you how to create an estimate.

1. Go to the Plus icon.
  2. Under Customers, select Estimate.
  3. Select a customer and a date for your estimate.
  4. Choose an item or service under PRODUCT/SERVICE.
  5. Enter the quantity and the amount of your items or services.
  6. Click Save and close.

For your reference, I've included our detailed guide in creating an estimate.

Fill me in if you have in other questions by leaving a comment below. I'll be here to keep helping. Enjoy your weekend!

Rustler
Level 15

@fcalero wrote:

Hello, I was reviewing this answer and it looks great but, I would like to know if I do the estimate does it deduct the pieces from the inventory so I know how many pieces are left, or this will only happen after I invoice.

Thank you 

Fernando

Estimates are non posting, so no, inventory does not decease

there is no "available" in QBO as there was in desktop so qty on hand is just that and does not lower because something is on an estimate

khchandler
Level 2

This is such an integral part of operating a business with inventory. Why can't a sales order be added to QBO so we can know our inventory needs. Please develop this.

khchandler
Level 2

Sales Orders are so import to having the ability to forecast inventory. This has to be a simple addition to QBO. Please add the ability to have a Sales Order deduct inventory and then convert to an Invoice when shipped.

MirriamM

Thanks for joining the thread and sharing your thoughts about this specific feature, khchandler,

I can see how this feature would be beneficial to your business. We’re working on releasing this feature soon.

For product updates, I'd recommend you visiting our Blog to check the latest feature added to the program, as well as additional references while working with your QuickBooks.

As always, you can visit the Community again if there's anything else you need help with concerning your QuickBooks Online account. I'm always here to help. Have a great day!

alano1
Level 2

Danielle,

What about open sales reports?  How would I know what has been ordered but not yet shipped and/or billed?

Alan O'Hern

Malcolm Ziman
Level 10

@MirriamM wrote:

We’re working on releasing this feature soon.

Do you mean Sales Orders?

Do you have any more information about this new feature?

khchandler
Level 2

Yes, Sales Orders. We should be able to enter a Sales Order, have it deduct from inventory for a specific ship date and then convert to an Invoice and also run a report for open Sales Orders.

alano1
Level 2

How do I assign job numbers to these estimates?

alano1
Level 2

How do i assign job numbers to these entries?

alano1
Level 2

When will this happen?  I need to enter a sales order and bill part of it to a new customer this afternoon??

MirriamM

Hi there, khchandler and alano1,

I understand the importance of being able to create Sales Order. At this time, there isn’t a specific time frame as to when this feature be available.

In QuickBooks Online, you can split an estimate into as many invoices as you need. This feature is called Progressive invoicing or progress billing. To turn on this feature, here's how:

1. Click the Gear icon at the top, then click Account and Settings.
  2. Click Sales tab, then go to the Progress Invoicing section.
  3. Put a check mark, then click Save.
  4. Click Done.

As for the assigning of job numbers, I'd like to verify if you're referring to the Estimate number? If yes, then you can manually edit it. However, if you mean something else, can you please provide more information so that I'm able to provide you with the best resolution?

To know more about how Estimate works in QuickBooks Online, you can check these articles:

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach back out. I'd be happy to further assist. Have a great day!

Malcolm Ziman
Level 10

First it was:

@MirriamM wrote:

We’re working on releasing this feature soon.

Then it changed to 

@MirriamM wrote:

At this time, there isn’t a specific time frame as to when this feature be available.

So there is no specific time frame but it is is "soon", whatever "soon" means

BenchTopDevices
Level 2

I hope it's soon that Sales orders are implemented as I am looking to other alternatives to QB online.  Sales orders were a very important part of my process with QB desktop.  It baffles me why this feature was eliminated with the online version.  It is pretty lame to tell us to "Use and Estimate" and change the name of the form as a work around.

POOLTEK
Level 1

It´s not just lame, it is a shame for a company which offers a desktop version and knows how essential a sales order is for any business. Quickbooks offers a subscription for 25 users, who can handle a business with 25 agents without sales orders?

SophiaAnnL

QBO uses a different transaction type for sales orders which works the same way, POOLTEK.

You can create an estimate to record the sale of your products from your customers. To do this, you can follow the steps given by @Jonpril_L.

Here's how:

1. Go to the Plus icon.
  2. Under Customers, select Estimate.
  3. Select a customer and a date for your estimate.
  4. Choose an item or service under PRODUCT/SERVICE.
  5. Enter the quantity and the amount of your items or services.
  6. Click Save and close.

Of course, I will also send your request to our developers. It will be reviewed, just like other requests, and might get a chance of being included in a future update. Most enhancements in the program are usually based on the suggestions we get from users. 

Whenever we roll out new updates, we either send them through email, within QBO, or on our blog site. Please let me know if you need more help with entering transactions in QBO.

Korre
Level 1

This feature is completely necessary to my business. I tried Quickbooks online and explored the estimate option. Imported all my data, and it just didn't work out. Until you can get a sales order option into Quickbooks online, it's unusable to me.

Rose-A

​​​​​

Thanks for looping in, Korre.

Thanks for checking this with the Community. I can share some information concerning sales order option in QuickBooks Online.

I could definitely see how you would want to have the sales order feature in QuickBooks Online. Right now, we don’t have the sales order option, its closest transaction is the estimate. An Estimate is a proposal for something for a specific price that you can be turned into an invoice.

To create an estimate:

1. Click the Plus sign icon, then choose Estimate.

z.PNG

2. Enter the needed details.
  3. Click Save.

To convert an estimate to an invoice:

1. Open the estimate.
  2. Click the Create an invoice button.

x.PNG

3. Update if needed.
  4. Click Save or Save and close.

You can find more information about estimates in these articles:

I’ll speak with our engineering team about the sorting feature and will let you know whenever we have it available for our users. Additionally, I'd encourage you to visit our QuickBooks Blog, so you'll be updated with our latest news and updates including product improvements. Just go to https://quickbooks.intuit.com/blog/.

For more questions about QuickBooks Online, please fill me in. I'll be around to help.

sahm1
Level 1

Sales Orders and Purchase Orders
I suggest QBO developers look at other software's like ERP-Horizon as they have all the features people are looking for with the same cost.

HoneyLynn_G
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @sahm1.

I appreciate you joining this thread and providing feedback about QuickBooks Online functionalities.

It's our outmost goal to cater all business' needs, and you're helping us achieve it with your suggestion and idea. I'll make sure your voice is heard by sharing it with our developers.

To get an overview of the QBO functionalities and features, you can visit the following links:

There you have it, @sahm1. Let me know if there's anything else I can do or you have other proposals. I'd be here to provide more help and share them on your behalf.

Aura Design
Level 1

How can i take a deposit on an Estimate?

JamesDuanT

Hello there, Aura Design.

We cannot directly apply a deposit to an estimate. Instead, you'll need to convert the estimate to an invoice. Then, you can add the deposit amount. Here's how:

1. Open the estimate and click the Create invoice button.
    Capture.PNG
  2. In the Invoice page, click the Gear icon in the upper-right corner.
  3. Under the Customize what you see here section, mark the Deposit box.
    Capture 1.PNG
  4. At the lower right of the Invoice page, enter the deposit amount in the Deposit field.
    Capture 2.PNG
  5. Click Save and close.

You can also use this article to know more about estimates and invoices:

I'll be around if you have more questions about this.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us