cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor *

pdf file name customisation?

Hi,

Is there a way to customise the file name of the pdf's sent out by email from QuickBooks?

and what does the last 4 numbers in the file name mean/represent?

Thanks,

8 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: pdf file name customisation?

Good day, AmithS.

I'd be happy to help and provide you some information about the customization of the PDF file name sent out via QuickBooks Desktop.

The last for numbers you see in the file name is QuickBooks generated numbers and right now there isn't a way to customize the PDF file name sent out via QuickBooks Desktop.

For a workaround, you can save the invoices, estimates and other forms as a PDF file and manually change the name to customize them.

Save PDF in landscape or portrait orientation:

1. From the QuickBooks File menu, select Printer Setup.
  2. Click the Form Name drop-down and choose Invoice.
  3. Click the Options button next to the Printer name field to open your printer properties window.
  4. Go to the Finishing tab and in the Orientation section, select Portrait or Landscape.

You can get more details in this article: Save QuickBooks Desktop PDF in legal size, landscape, or portrait orientation.

Also, you may find this article helpful: Troubleshoot PDF and Print problems with QuickBooks Desktop.

Should you have any other questions about PDF files in QuickBooks Desktop, don't hesitate to ping me out. I'll be here to help you out.

Frequent Contributor *

Hi, this then becomes a manual process vs. automatically sending directly from QBs.

Is this a feature that will be added?

Thanks,

QuickBooks Team

Hello there, AmithS.

I'll personally let our product engineers know that you'd like this feature to be added. We don't have a specific timeline as to when this will be added. 

As suggested by my colleague, you can save the pdf file on your computer and customize the file name there. Then, send it outside QuickBooks. 

Always know the Community team is always here to help you with your concerns. Have a good one!

Frequent Contributor *

Thanks, nothing fancy.

Just a few variables, like date, customer name, company name, account number...

and the sequence of the variable should also be configurable.

did this ever get sorted? this feature is sorely missed. 

QuickBooks Team

Hello there, benappease.

Customizing the PDF file isn't available in QuickBooks yet. As for now, you can perform the steps provided by my colleague above to customize Pdf file.

I'd make sure to let our product engineers know your feature request. Product suggestions are used to consider whenever they'll have a product update.

I'd also make sure to keep you updated with this. Feel free to visit us again.

Experienced Member

When you "email invoice" in QB, can you delete the default PDF from the email in QB and replace it with your own file? That way we have the file format we want but we have the email history still in QB.

QuickBooks Team

Greetings, @slharris.

There are two options you can consider to successfully use your own file when emailing your invoices. Let me provide them to you.

In QuickBooks, you can either import your template in QuickBooks. Or you can manually send your invoices from your email provider.

If you prefer to import your own template, note that it should be in the Corel Designer File (.DES) format.

You can follow the steps in importing:

1. Click on Lists from the menu bar.
  2. Choose Templates.
  3. From the Templates drop-down, choose Import.
  4. Choose your template.
  5. Click on Open.

But if you prefer to email it manually to your customers, you can send an invoice from QuickBooks to a dummy email. This way, it’ll show in the history that you've sent it in QuickBooks.

Then you can copy the email and change the PDF attachment with your own and send it using your email provider.

You can read this article to help you in customizing your templates: Use and Customize Form Templates.

You can let me know if you need help with anything else. I’ll always be here to help.