cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Explorer *
Solved

"Received From" Name in Deposit Reporting

Here's the issue - When I try and filter my Bank Account using a particular "Name", the Bill PMTs and Checks show up for that vendor but the deposits don't.  When making a deposit, I enter the vendor name in the "Received From" field but there's no option to display that field along with the "Name" field so that the Report includes a complete transaction history (Bills, Check Payments).  I did some searching and it appears to be a limitation.  Is there a workaround that someone can suggest?

Thanks for the help.

Best answer 03-09-2019

Accepted Solutions
Established Community Backer ***

Re: "Received From" Name in Deposit Reporting

A deposit is essentially a journal entry and journal entries do not track names properly, never have in any version of QB . The workaround is to Receive payments first though a sales receipt or simply as Receive Payment even if you have no invoice yet it will post a customer credit but importantly will track the name. These payments should post to Undeposited Funds and then create the deposit, selecting the included payments

3 Comments
Established Community Backer ***

A deposit is essentially a journal entry and journal entries do not track names properly, never have in any version of QB . The workaround is to Receive payments first though a sales receipt or simply as Receive Payment even if you have no invoice yet it will post a customer credit but importantly will track the name. These payments should post to Undeposited Funds and then create the deposit, selecting the included payments

Senior Explorer *

Interesting that QB let's you record a "Received From" but doesn't let you report on it.  I wonder why they haven't addressed that over the years.  Thanks for taking the time to respond

Senior Explorer *

Sounds like a reasonable workaround albeit a few extra steps.  I'll have to think about how important it is to track names on deposits.  Thanks again for the suggestion and for taking the time to help.

Rob