cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
AudreyPratt
Level 7

How do you balance running a small business with day-to-day life? Meet Jessica Quinn

jessica_quinn1.jpg

Based in British Columbia, Jessica Quinn taught herself how to screen print and sell the type of kids apparel she wanted her daughter to wear. She set herself up with a solid business plan and did all her research before opening shop, but her best resource just might be the maker community she found herself welcomed in to.

We chatted with Jessica about learning how to price her adorable apparel items for all ages and why she's hoping to learn *your* secrets for balancing work, life, a baby and everything in between!

Name: Jessica Quinn

Business: Live Love North

Started: 2015

How did you create your awesome job?

It really began quite organically. When my daughter was about 6 months old (she's now 14 months), we were out camping and I remember thinking how beautiful the trees and lake were, and wondering to myself, "How can I capture this moment?"

I took to sketching out some of my ideas, and then somewhere along the way it occurred to me these sketches would make a great t-shirt for my baby. I started doing some research online about how to create shirts and it wasn't until after I decided I wanted to screen print some shirts for my kid that it dawned on me that other people might like them too, and that I could try to sell them!

I had also recently discovered the online shopping world of handmade baby items, so I figured I could get into that market, too. I have a marketing background, so I made sure to take the time to write out a proper business plan, just for myself, to get my ideas straight and make sure I was covering all my bases in terms of what needed to be done before launching my shop — both in setting up my business and ensuring I had all of the proper equipment and tools to create my items. 

I work best with deadlines, so I first set up a timeline of all the steps I had to accomplish before I could launch, including lots of time for learning how to screen print. I jumped in from there.

jessica_quinn_2.jpg

Who was your very first customer?

My first customer was actually another handmade maker mom, which makes sense because my first step with marketing via social media was to follow and interact with other local, handmade businesses who sold products for babies and kids. 

I found the online tribe of moms and makers to be extremely warm and supportive, and have loved being a part of that community.

When did you know your business was going to work?

I knew it when I saw some of the enthusiastic and supportive comments I was getting from people online when I first started revealing my designs and the inspiration behind them! 

People seemed genuinely excited and interested in them. Then, I approached a local children's boutique in my city to see if they would be interested in carrying my line. The owner was over the moon with the designs, as well. Her enthusiasm really showed me that this was a good idea.

What has been the biggest surprise so far after starting your own business?

The biggest surprise has to be the support I've received from other mom makers. Everyone I've met — whether they're also doing shirts, sewing tights or making teethers, etc — is just so nice and there's no negative competition. There's room for everyone to grow and shine, and we all really boost each other up. It's a great community.

jessica_quinn_3.jpg

How do you price and market your products?

I did a lot of research on pricing before I started. I looked at both what other people were charging for similar products and what general pricing models looked like. I made sure to factor in my time in addition to the supplies so that I would be able to sustain my business. 

I think the biggest lesson I've learned is to not undersell yourself. Before I got into wholesale sales, I hadn't really thought about how that would affect my retail price, so I had to mark things up a bit once. Thankfully, it didn't affect sales.

Most of my sales happen online, so I have a definite focus on marketing via social media. The online marketplace for babies and kid’s goods is huge on Instagram and that's where the majority of my following currently is. Sharing photos, participating in giveaways with other shops and using proper hashtags has been important for building and maintaining my online presence. I'd say that's where I'm putting most of my marketing efforts right now.

jessica_quinn_4.jpg

What does a typical day look like for you?

I started my business when I was on maternity leave and I've recently had to go back to my full-time day job. So, literally all of my work on this business now happens on weekends and after my daughter is in bed. 

On the weekends, I will print shirts at the kitchen table while she is in her high chair eating her snack or lunch. During naps, I'll be on my phone or laptop and organizing orders, to do lists, scheduling social media posts or engaging with customers online. 

Then after her bedtime, I'll pour a glass of wine, put on Netflix and sit down at the kitchen table (it's a busy area of our home!) and I’ll either be heat setting shirts I've printed that day, tagging shirts or packaging orders to ship the next day. 

When I didn't go to work full-tie, it was much the same, as I would spend most of the day playing or going outside with the baby. Back then, it was just a bit less rushed for me. The only aspect of orders that I've had to adjust is changing my turnaround time from 3-5 days to 1-2 weeks. Considering everything is handmade and made to order, though, I think this is still perfectly acceptable and I haven’t received any complaints.

jessica_quinn_5.jpg

If you could go back in time, what’s the one thing you would do differently when starting your business?

Honestly, I wish I could have started sooner. But, it really was the perfect storm — of having my baby, feeling the need for a creative outlet and being motivated to start a business — that set this up for me. I really took the time to plan properly and get everything in order before launching, so I really don't think I would do anything differently!

What would you like to learn today from a community of other small business owners and self-employed professionals?

I would love to hear from others about how they balance running their small business with day-to-day life. As a one-person shop, I feel pressure to always be "on."

For example, if a customer emails me a question at 9:30 at night, I'll answer. But I know that maybe isn't the healthiest — for your marriage or mental wellness. 

So my question for others is: Really, HOW do you find a good balance?

Let's help Jessica out! Do *you* have work-life balance tips you can share with us?

Do you have tips for maintaining a healthy work-life balance? Have you discovered the secret to setting boundaries and creating a manageable day-to-day schedule?

Share your own ideas and experiences with us below! :-)

Need to get in touch?

Contact us