cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
SteveChase
Community Champion

What is the best book you have read that teaches you how to write business proposals?

I'm curious what others have read about the art of writing a business proposal. Is there a book that you can recommend that does a great job teaching someone like a bookkeeper on how to effectively write a solid proposal?

8 Comments 8
LeslieBarber
Level 6

What is the best book you have read that teaches you how to write business proposals?

If you can believe it @SteveChase, I used one of the dummies books - I think it was Business Planning for Dummies! Can't quite believe that I'm admitting that here, but heck, it's a safe place. :) I found it helpful in thinking about things I hadn't really considered. And it kept me on track. But I also found that the most effective "plan" was our story. Why were we doing what we were doing? We captured the hearts of our investors/customers/suppliers, and then we showed them with a spreadsheet how we would make it happen. That was ultimately our best set of tools. Cheering for you! (and THANK YOU for being one of our rockstar ProAdvisors!).

AudreyPratt
Level 7

I bet @SBSL-Founder-SJ has some great ones to share, too! :smileywink:

SteveChase
Community Champion

I've been thinking about the "our story" part. This is really good point. And by the way, the dummy books are great. Considering that they all have gifted authors who love what they write. I read an Excel VBA for dummies that was awesome.

SBSL-Founder-SJ
Level 4

You bet!

Blue Ocean Strategy & Business Model Canvas are the best of the best. 

SteveChase
Community Champion

@SBSL-Founder-SJ you are the second person who has recommended the Blue Ocean Strategy book. The other person who loves it is Marie Forleo (B-School) and I will definetely get a copy of this to read. 

I'm also intersested in the Business Model Canvas as well. 

Thanks,

Steve Chase

JBrown
Level 2

I think of the best books I've ever read on writing business proposals is "The One-Page Proposal" by Patrick G. Riley. It's great at helping you figure out how to distill your pitch into one or two highly persuasive pages. 

SteveChase
Community Champion

@JBrown Thank you. This is exactly the kind of book that will speak directly to my learning needs. Appreciate the quick response.

Steve Chase

SBSL-Founder-SJ
Level 4

You're most welcome! Terrific to hear that, @SteveChase - Feel welcome to keep the community informed as you make your way through the book. Also superb to hear about the Business Model Canvas -- please note, there are two apps available in the Apple App Store too ! ( I have them both )

Need to get in touch?

Contact us