cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
dalal1
Level 1

Which accounts offset each other when making an adjustment on a sales tax return?

1 Comment 1
LauraAB
QuickBooks Team

Which accounts offset each other when making an adjustment on a sales tax return?

Hi dala1,

It's always important to make sure your sales tax numbers are correct, so I can appreciate wanting to know how to make an adjustment. QuickBooks Online makes sales tax adjustments easy by integrating it as a part of the filing process. You can make a sales tax adjustment as you're filing by simply clicking Adjust. From there, you enter the appropriate amount, choose the adjustment account, save the adjustment, then proceed with filing your taxes. I've got a couple articles here that can help you with both of these processes.

The Adjust sales tax article gives you a few examples of adjustment accounts you can use or you can ask your accountant for more clarify about which account would be best.

If you're looking to make an adjustment or correction to an already-filed return, there are two ways to approach the situation. The first is to have an accountant user undo the tax filing. It's an easy process to add your accountant to your QuickBooks Online account, or even to find an accountant, and they have specific tools to help manage your books.

The other option is to call our phone support team and have one of our agents undo the filing for a period. That way, you can go back in, make the proper adjustments, and then file your taxes. Give us a call at 1-855-253-1536 from Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST or Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST.

I hope that helps! Enjoy your evening. :)

Need to get in touch?

Contact us