cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
sbentley14
Level 1

Cannot apply customer payment

Previously, I have been able to successfully apply payment to customer accounts with no issue.  Now today, when I go in to "receive customer payments" I can search for the customer invoice and open it, but when I tab to enter the payment amount, the invoice that showed up disappears. I am not able to apply payments at all. 

Also, the customer list used to show up with a main customer account showing the total invoice amount outstanding with projects listed below it, but now they are all over the place. Anyone know what might be going on?

2 Comments 2
AddieC
QuickBooks Team

Hello sbentley14, 

The ability to apply payments to your customer's invoices should be a simple process. It's also essential that the customer list is formatted as you'd expect. I want to make sure everything is functioning properly for you.

We haven't received any reports of this issue, and I'm unable to reproduce what you're describing in my account. In situations like this, it's best if our team takes a closer look at your company file either through a remote screen share, or screenshots. To work with one of our agents, please reach out to QuickBooks Desktop phone support at 877-772-9158. Hours of operation depend on which version of the program you're using:

• Pro/Premier support is 24/7
  • Enterprise Solutions is available Monday-Friday, 9am-8pm EST

You can also reach out to our Social Media team on Facebook or Twitter. Hours for support on social media are Monday-Friday, 9am-8pm EST. 

I hope this helps, and I'm confident our agents will sort this out for you. 

Have a great day!

Rochelley
Level 8

Right click anywhere in your Customer List.  Choose 'Re-Sort' list.  That should put your list back into proper order.  If you want to see the hierarchy with the projects under the main customer, right click and choose 'Hierarchical' view.

I'm not sure what is happening when you are trying to apply payments.  Your description of how you're doing it does not sound familiar to me.  You shouldn't have to search for customer invoices nor open them to apply payment.  Go to Customers Menu, choose 'Receive Payment'.  Type your customer's name into the 'Received from' field.  All outstanding invoices for that customer should show up.  Type in your payment amount.  Check off the invoices that are being paid.  Save and Close.

Keep in mind that if the billing to your customer was made to Customer Name: Project Name or Number, then you must receive payment against the exact same name.  Sometimes people will apply the payment to the top level customer name, and not the entire name & project, which causes problems in reporting.  Your overall balance for that top level customer may be right, but payment distribution could be totally wrong due to payments not being applied directly to the job/project.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us