Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
SamyBoyz
Level 1

How can i add line level or invoice level discount (%) ? Thanks

Hi,

I have a customer who's in the auto parts industry and was able to set an invoice level discount on the online version, his business is slow now so we switched him over to the desktop version, wanted to know if this invoice level discount can still be applied (my findings say that it cannot be done).

Thanks,

1 Comment 1
LauraAB
QuickBooks Team

How can i add line level or invoice level discount (%) ? Thanks

Hello again!

I can help you with this. Depending on exactly what you're looking for, QuickBooks Desktop has a number of options when it comes to adding discounts for sales forms. Discounts can be added as line items on forms or they can also be set up for specific customers using the price level feature. I'll explain both.

Set up discount as a line item

While QuickBooks Online has a feature where you can turn on the discount box for sales forms, in QuickBooks Desktop, it's treated as a line item. Here's how you can create it.

1. Go to the Lists menu at the top of the screen.
  2. Click Item List.
  3. At the bottom of that window, click Item and then New.
  4. In the drop-down menu for Type, select Discount.
  5. Set it up and name it accordingly.
  6. Click OK when done.

You can create as many discount items as you'd like. Once they're made, here's how they're applied to sales forms.

In the event that the discounts applies to the entire form, you'll first need to add the Subtotal line item after entering the items or services being invoiced or sold. Subtotal may already exist in the account or, if you need to add it, you can do so by clicking Add New right from the Item drop-down on the form or through the Item List. Subtotal is an option in the Type for items. Once Subtotal is on the form, then you can add the discount on the next line and the program will know to apply it to the total of all items above it.

If the discount applies to only one item, simply add it directly below the item in question to calculate.

Create a price level for a customer discount

A price level can be set up an added to customer profiles so that they'll always get that discount. This is useful if you have preferred customers, for instance. Price levels can either be a fixed percent that's added to all standard sales prices or for specific items in your list. Here's how to set that up.

1. Click the Lists menu in the top menu bar.
  2. Choose Price Level List.
  3. At the bottom of that window, click Price Level and New.
  4. Name the price level.
  5. Choose Fixed % or Per Item from the Price Level Type drop-down menu.
  6. To set it up as a discount, choose Decrease and enter the percentage.
  7. Choose whether you'd like it to round or not.
  8. Click OK when you're done.

Once it's set up, you can apply it to a customer profile through the Customer Centre. Simply double-click the customer to bring up their profile and go to the Payment Settings tab to add the price level. To learn more about price levels, you can search the Help section of QuickBooks Desktop Help (press F1 as a shortcut).

If your customer is using QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise, there's even more that can be done using the Advanced Pricing feature.

That should get you on your way. Let me know if you have more questions or need clarification. :)

Need to get in touch?

Contact us