cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
rob20
Level 1

How do I print and record Post dated cheques that I need to provide a supplier before I get the invoice?

Solved
Best answer March 11, 2019

Best Answers
impossible
Level 6

How do I print and record Post dated cheques that I need to provide a supplier before I get the invoice?

Use the Write Cheques function: Make the cheque payable to the Vendor you owe the money to. Enter the date for the first instalment. In the bottom section of the cheque, under the Expenses tab, select Accounts Payable. Select the Tax Code and enter the amount you are paying. Tab over to the Customer:Job column and select the Vendor you are paying from the dropdown list. Using A/P with the Vendor Name creates a credit in the Vendor account. Make sure the Print Later option is selected. 

When the cheque is exactly the way you want, make a copy of the cheque. Change the cheque date to the next payment date. Continue making copies and changing the date until you have paid all the instalments. From the File menu, select Print Forms>Cheques. When the screen populates, enter the first cheque # and select the cheques you want to print. Print the cheques.

When you receive the bill from the Vendor, enter it as usual. Open the Pay Bills window and apply the credits to pay the bill.

the Credits

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
impossible
Level 6

Use the Write Cheques function: Make the cheque payable to the Vendor you owe the money to. Enter the date for the first instalment. In the bottom section of the cheque, under the Expenses tab, select Accounts Payable. Select the Tax Code and enter the amount you are paying. Tab over to the Customer:Job column and select the Vendor you are paying from the dropdown list. Using A/P with the Vendor Name creates a credit in the Vendor account. Make sure the Print Later option is selected. 

When the cheque is exactly the way you want, make a copy of the cheque. Change the cheque date to the next payment date. Continue making copies and changing the date until you have paid all the instalments. From the File menu, select Print Forms>Cheques. When the screen populates, enter the first cheque # and select the cheques you want to print. Print the cheques.

When you receive the bill from the Vendor, enter it as usual. Open the Pay Bills window and apply the credits to pay the bill.

the Credits

Twincon
Level 1

Is there a way to record these post dated cheques without having them debit the bank account until the cheque has actually been cashed?

AddieC
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, 

I can see why you don't want your bank account to be debited until the cheque you've written has been cashed. I'll help clarify the way this process will work in QuickBooks Desktop.

When you write a cheque, you should consider this expense already paid to your vendor, as money you no longer have access to. When you create a cheque in QuickBooks, that's how the system will recognize the expense. It's designed this way for your benefit, as these funds should be associated with expenses paid. The bank account that the money will be taken from is the one that gets debited when the cheque is created in the system. 

For more information on how to create, modify, and print cheques, take a look at this awesome Community article: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Manage-vendors-and-expenses/Create-modify-and-print-checks/m....

Let me know if there's anything else you may need help with. 

Cheers!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us