cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
peppermill
Level 2

I have a negative balance in my A/R account because of duplicate invoice payments. Only 1 invoice is showing in A/R. How do I fix it?

- I invoice in QB online and send to the customer
- I follow up with a Square Request for Payment so they can use a credit card to pay the invoice using an item called "Request for Payment"
- when I receive payment in Square, I "Receive Payment" in QB, and deposit it into "Undeposited Funds"
- I have QB and Square synced so transactions in Square are automatically added to QB

I'm finding that payments show up twice in QB A/R account, once when I enter it as paid manually, and again when QB and Square Sync.
There's no "Invoice" associated with the Square payment in the A/R account, I think because "Request for Payment" isn't an item for sale in QB

- I transfer Square money (in Undeposited Funds) into my bank account to match actual transfers

- if I delete the duplicate Square payment, then the "Undeposited Funds" account will not show the withdrawal and will not balance

- if I create an item called "Request for Payment" in QB, then my sales will show more than actual, since some invoices will count twice.

How do I fix the duplicate payments? There's 4 like this.

In the future, I'm not going to use Square Invoicing to request payments for invoices already in QB.
2 Comments 2
JamesM
QuickBooks Team

I have a negative balance in my A/R account because of duplicate invoice payments. Only 1 invoice is showing in A/R. How do I fix it?

Hi peppermill,

I can see how duplicate payments can cause discrepancies in your books. Don't worry, I'll help get to the bottom of this. 

The common cause for duplicate payments with Square is having an integration app plus Square connected as a bank in QB. Having an integration app and the bank feed will cause these unwanted duplicate transactions. To fix this, you'll need to use one method to sync your Square transactions with QB. Let me know if this is the case and we can take it from there.

In terms of the duplicate payments, you'll have to manually delete each of the duplicate payments/invoices from QB.

To delete the invoice and payment:

1.     Go to Sales tab and choose Customers.
  2.     Click on the customer's name.
  3.     On the Transaction List, open the payment you've processed.
  4.     At the bottom part, click on More and select Delete.
  5.     Hit Yes to confirm.

Do the same process for the invoices. If you delete transactions that were previously reconciled, the next reconciliation beginning balance will change, and there is no way to recover or restore deleted transactions. The only record of the change is in the Audit Log

Check this article for more details: How to void or delete an invoice or other transactions.

For more information on the Square integration with QB, I recommend checking out this article here. Feel free to ask questions. I'm here to assist. 

JamesM
QuickBooks Team

Hi there. It's important you get the support you need with this. I recommend contacting our support team so they can take a closer look at your account and provide the support you need. Here are the contact details:

Phone and Chat: Click Contact Us to learn how to reach phone and chat support.

Schedule a Callback: click (?)Help in the upper right > click Contact Us > explain your situation > click Let's Talk > choose Get a callback (Note: Callback hours are the same as regular phone hours.)

Social MediaFacebookTwitter, and Instagram from Monday to Friday between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. ET

Let me know if you have other questions in the comments below. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us