cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
SBSL-Founder-SJ
Level 4

Pitch competitions/events

Here nearby where I live, the #12 startup metro area in America, there are MANY different entities/orgs that put on events for those who are just starting up who wish to hone their idea(s) and receive on the spot feedback. Pitch events can definitely be your friend. They will / can help with these soft skills- as you hone them via ongoing drip development: Public speaking ( thought ) leadership Critical thinking ( ability to think on one's feet ) Discernment Passion & burning desire ( dreams/vision ) Financial wisdom
7 Comments 7
ShanaNiederman
Level 6

We've talked a bit about pitching here in the QB Community, @SBSL-Founder-SJ

How about revisiting this post from a while back:

What's your "elevator pitch" for your business? 

You mention there that you've got a couple of versions yourself (one 10 seconds, one 23)...

Why not share them here with us so we all have a chance to see the difference and learn from them? :-)

I agree that pitch events are really valuable for folks, especially those of us who are struggling to define our intentions and get others to understand our ideas. 

Sounds like you take part in the ones in your area?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SBSL-Founder-SJ this is great advice. Do you have any thoughts on best practices for developing an "elevator pitch" for your ideas? What about for your brand/startup as a whole?

SBSL-Founder-SJ
Level 4

Thank YOU so kindly for the edifying feedback, sir. Hmm -- in the lead up to my very good friend's book release on pitching ( it'll be a MUST read ) -- I'll offer a couple sketch thoughts. 1. Make the audience ( person/s ) want more - engage their curiosity 'button' 2. Embed a Q in the pitch just before you wrap it up 3. Have it encourage them to visualize -- tap into the brain's un/sub-conscious , which is 2 billion times larger than the conscious.

@Anonymous wrote:

@SBSL-Founder-SJ this is great advice. Do you have any thoughts on best practices for developing an "elevator pitch" for your ideas? What about for your brand/startup as a whole?

SBSL-Founder-SJ
Level 4

Yes, I participate in a couple diff ways here locally: 1 - I oft am in the audience at events where pitches are the core attraction, or part of the agenda. 2 - Every week, in the business groups which I oversee in my 2nd business, we recently reduced the intro/"commercial" from 30 to 15 seconds to encourage everyone --- and this includes me -- I'm just as much a member of the group as the others --- to tighten their message in a very short attention span age. To share them would necessitate an audio recording/s -- is there a way to upload mp3's to the community?

@ShanaNiederman wrote:

We've talked a bit about pitching here in the QB Community, @SBSL-Founder-SJ

How about revisiting this post from a while back:

What's your "elevator pitch" for your business? 

You mention there that you've got a couple of versions yourself (one 10 seconds, one 23)...

Why not share them here with us so we all have a chance to see the difference and learn from them? :-)

I agree that pitch events are really valuable for folks, especially those of us who are struggling to define our intentions and get others to understand our ideas. 

Sounds like you take part in the ones in your area?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @SBSL-Founder-SJ,

I'd love to hear some stories!

If you can host the audio clips off-site, somewhere like Sound Cloud (lots of free options), you can use the other site's embed code in a new post in "Starting Up"!

SBSL-Founder-SJ
Level 4

Ah! Very good. I will have to look into this, especially since I have a couple audio clips on my own website that aren't working that well using a code from an app versus a site.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey @SBSL-Founder-SJ,

I'd love to hear some stories!

If you can host the audio clips off-site, somewhere like Sound Cloud (lots of free options), you can use the other site's embed code in a new post in "Starting Up"!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SBSL-Founder-SJ, by all means, I'd love to hear them. You can also host the audio files on Youtube and simply add the embed code in a community post (use the HTML tab instead of Rich Text).

Need to get in touch?

Contact us