Highlighted
Community Leader
Tags (3)
14 Comments
Frequent Contributor *
Re: Six Things I Wish I'd Known When I Started My Business

Excellent advice, and thank you for the links to the other discussions! Very good reading.

Community Leader

Thank you @tamalita! Would love to know your learnings - what is one thing you wish you had known? 

Community Leader

Thank you @tamalita! Would love to know your learnings - what is one thing you wish you had known? 

Frequent Contributor *

The first business I had was a graphic and web design business. I loved loved loved just about every aspect of this. I loved the design work, I loved working with clients. But what I didn't love so much was the billing part. I could have made a lot more money if I had learned to not be afraid to bill people and to look at the whole billing aspect in a different manner. 

Community Backer **

Thank you!

I have found that working for myself doesn't mean that I have to work by myself. I was so eager to be this one man army while retaining profits so that I could save and expand. I quickly realized that I was becoming extremely overwhelmed. I had to ask for help. I had to ask for advice. I had to do what was right and necessary for my business. As a mother of two I try to look at challenges from my children perspective. If I want them to always ask for help. I, in turn, must do the same. 

I removed the thought that asking for help meant that I was weak. Instead I replaced it with the thought of asking for help is not only brillant but it can really help you and your business! Now, I am at a point where I ask as many questions as I need to feel comfortable. I seek advice from established business owners. I also receive advice from family and friends. 

Frequent Explorer **

Great advice for my budding entreprenuership students!

Community Host

@Aero wrote:

Great advice for my budding entreprenuership students!

That's awesome, @Aero! What are you seeing in our next generation of business innovators? Socially conscious? Connected? Hungry? 

Frequent Explorer **

Emily..our high school students are "young" and somewhat sheltered here in upstate NY.

For the most part they are "connected", yet understand the great potential in it's use to branch out. Some social conciousness, and oh they are "hungry" but have a ways to go as to truly understanding what it will take to sate those wants!

Community Host

Hey there, neighbor (well, sort of - I'm in Massachusetts). @Aero, I LOVE that you're teaching entrepreneurship at the high school level!!

Momentum to $1 Million Host

I never tire of reading this article @LeslieBarber!

Hey @Aero and @tamalita, did you know that we have a Momentum to $1 Million group here inside the QB community? Lots of great discussions happening, so you you should check it out! Just click here and then click JOIN. I'm the business coach and host for the group, so glad to support in any way! J. 

Community Contributor *

Thank you very much for share the most valuable experience with us to suggest the way where we get the result that satisfy to our goal. 

Community Host

Hey @state-express - glad you liked the article! Based on your profile page, it looks like you've got quite a travel operation there in India. Which of @LeslieBarber's six tips resonates most with your own business experience? Is there anything you would add to this list for others who may be just starting out?

Frequent Explorer **

This is great advice. and if I may add there's one I have learned that you must know your strength and weaknesses. Those areas you are not comfortable doing find someone to be your partner who is strong in that area. When I started I tend to do almost any services a CPA might be offering and I don't like doing taxes. I realize then that I am spending a lot of time on each client doing research etc. rather than just getting the tax done efficiently. If you are storing in Accounting and Financial reporting then focus on that service and get someone to the Taxes for your client. Specialize is what you must do to gain an edge.

Community Leader

@Jverar absolutely! I love leaning into strengths and then finding others whose strengths are my weaknesses. There are so many people who LOVE to do what I hate to do. I outsource those things throughout my business and my life. You're right on!