cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
WillowOlder
Level 5

Was there a specific life event that motivated you to work for yourself?

Major life events like having kids, getting laid off or relocating are often the impetus for deciding to work for yourself. Another common motivating factor? Realizing you’re ready to make some serious changes to your lifestyle and your work style. Tell us:

Can you pinpoint the exact reason (or reasons) you “pivoted” and decided to steer your career into the entrepreneurial lane?

We can’t wait to hear your “pivotal” stories!

6 Comments 6
ShanaNiederman
Level 6

Mine was a "why not" moment? As a new college grad, I'd landed a temp employee postion in my field. I started looking for other opportunities and found people willing to contract with me for work they needed. As things progressed, I realized I had full control of my contract work while I had little control over my fate as a temp employee. When a big contract opportunity came up, I asked myself, "Why not go all in?" So I did. And have never looked back!

SteveChase
Community Champion

Mine was a matter of believing I could have a better life for my family if I went into business for myself. 

lflo
Level 2

With little room for advancement in my last job, I left in early 2017 and took some time off. I did casually look for new opportunities, but I couldn't really pinpoint what I wanted to do. I knew that I didn't want to do what I'd done before, but that was about it.  I also started to enjoy my free time, so I really wanted something part-time and not with the same company. Variety and problem solving had always been a passion. 

I decided I was going to do this and was going to reach out to my network for advice. The first person I thought of was a former manager (manager's manager, actually) who had done some advising for VCs. He had just started his own company, and without trying he became my first client. From there, what was casual consulting had accidentally turned into a digital agency where I've had to hire freelancers (for now) to help with demand. 

Over the years I'd thought about having my own company, but didn't have the courage. With all the experience I've gleaned over the years and much more confidence in what I do, it just seemed like the natural next step. 

EmilyCowan
Level 7

That's awesome, @lflo! I'm really impressed that in such a short time you've already netted enough business to warrant bringing on some freelance help to handle the workload. Wow!

I love that you've addressed the "courage" factor here - striking out on your own is a big deal. Now that you're safely past the launch phase of your business, do you have any tips for would-be entrepreneurs who are still in the thinking/planning stages? Is there a particular attitude or mindset that helped you navigate the process of getting your new business up and running?

Mellane
Level 4

There came a point in our lives when we said, 'how much is enough?" and "what do we really want?"  Our answer was "we want more (more earnings, more flexibility, more time with our family), but recognize that Corporate America is not the ticket." Our reasons for exiting the corporate rat-race:

Work-life balance:  What happened to dinner with the family every night? Why do we really need to work 12+ hour days and be available instantaneously by text and email? Honestly, it is totally out of hand. 

Children: They need family dinners every night and parents who are "present." It is just a matter of priorities. We picked family.

Tired of travel: Is the United Global Services status really worth it? First class is awesome, but definitely not worth the rat race.

Working for ourselves vs. working for others: Too many bad business decisions, personal agendas, office politics nonsense and meetings.   The flexibility of being our own boss is worth its weight in gold.  Success is our success; failure our failure. No passing the buck. 

The net is our net: No salaries, bonuses, etc.  The cash we generate is ours. 

Power to do the right thing: by our employees, customers and suppliers. No corporate guidelines or restrictions. We can treat others according to our values.

It takes risk and effort. Entrepreneurship is not for the conformist or procrastinator. 

Do I need to go on?

EmilyCowan
Level 7

TREMENDOUSLY well said, @Mellane, and welcome! There are many others here in QB Community who have gravitated to self-employment for some or all of the reasons you've stated here. And good for you for so specifically identifying your essential values and priorities - worth its weight in gold indeed.

So...you're a former consultant. What's your current business, and how (if at all) has your previous work experience informed your new venture? Would love to hear more about what you're up to!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us