Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Anonymous
Not applicable

Converting Clients from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online

client.shutterstock.jpg

It’s a bit scary, isn’t it? You’re all comfy-cozy in your desktop world with your small collection of desktop clients - but you also want to grow and expand your business. Where do you go next? This was my journey to shift my practice from Desktop to the cloud.

Moving Clients from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online

Step 1: Learn QuickBooks Online

The first most important step is to learn that online software. If you’re a QuickBooks ProAdvisor (and if you’re not you should be - it’s free!), take the test, pass the test, and take the advanced certification. What you learn will set you up for success.

Step 2: Convert your company file to QuickBooks Online

You’ll need to learn how to convert your desktop files, of course, so you might as well start with your own company data file. (After all, that’s what you’re going to be doing with your current customers!) Starting with your own file gives you a playground to practice and to see the results:

1. Create a portable file of your data.
  2. Restore the portable file to a company file that will be converted. Portable files reorganize your data file in the best way possible, so the conversion will go smoothly. This is a simple step that’s often missed.
  3. Once you make the conversion, verify your data. Run a trial balance in accrual - “all dates” in the old desktop file and the new QuickBooks Online File. Compare them. The figures should match.
  4. Re-reconcile your data. When you do a conversion, the reconciliation does not map over. Now, you don’t have to re-reconcile every month. Just re-reconcile where you left off.
  5. Add your logo and company details, and edit your preferences.

Step 3: Start with new customers that are already using QuickBooks Online

Start with your new leads. Most of my potential new clients were already on QuickBooks Online. It was a great place to grow the cloud clients. It will also get you the experience necessary to start to make the shift to 100% cloud-based service.

Taking the Leap: Converting Your Current Desktop Clients

When you feel comfortable and ready, start to convert your first desktop client. As a ProAdvisor, there is a one-time 5/$5 offering. Five QuickBooks Online files for $5/month. Sign up for that. I found a simple client and converted them to QuickBooks Online and then showed them the results. Then add the special touches:

• Grab their logo from their website and add it to the new file. It’s a nice touch so when your client sees the new program, the data looks professional. And it is something they did not have in Desktop.
  • Customize their sales forms look closely at your desktop sales forms. Sometimes, an exact duplication is not always entirely possible, but you can use the feature in QB labs (Navigate to Gear>QB labs) to create some amazing effects in a word doc that can be imported into a sales form in QuickBooks Online.
  • Educate them in the new program. Zoom meetings are great for this. You can record your short videos on how to work in their file.
  • Razzle-dazzle them with document attachment feature. Show them how they can be paperless. My customers loved that they could just click and see a bill that I had and not have to call me and wait for the call back to have me scan and send the document to them.
  • Demonstrate the freedom. No more scheduling specific times to work with clients. I did not have to rely on that outside software which sometimes wasn’t always stable. Teach them how to work from their phone or iPad.
  • Show them the power of the bank feed. This is where they are blown away. That connection to the banking in the credit cards is such a timesaver.
  • Offer free training. I also offered free conversion. That way it was less painful for them. After all, I was doing this for my benefit. Remember, it’s an awkward transition as your client has to learn new software.

Be brave! My next step was to become 100% cloud-based. Move your clients one by one. If you come upon a resistant client, be okay with letting them go. You cannot let your clients dictate your work practices and workflows. Yes, this is the hard part. Especially if the client has been with you for years. Help them find another bookkeeper. I guarantee you that most will stay with you.

Last and most important: When you make this transition, it must coincide with being paid up-front. You cannot “unring the bell” when you work in the cloud. This is a service-based business and you must be sure to be paid ahead. I bundle my software and apps with the bookkeeping, so the client only pays one fixed price. This will give the client peace of mind and ease in budgeting the accounting services.

Lynda Artesani owns Artesani Bookkeeping in Estero, Florida. She is our first QB Community Expert Columnist and excited to be part of the team to share her knowledge and love of everything QuickBooks and to help others start or grow their businesses. She is also a member of the Intuit Advisory Council. Message her @lynda!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us