cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
AudreyPratt
Level 7

Handbag Designer Sara Rossi on Sharing Retail Space, Zipper Nightmares & Finding Brand Ambassadors

1 sara_rossi_top.jpg

Ask Sara Rossi about the latest fashion trends and she’ll tell you that practical is the new black. When she launched Beau & Ro, a range of bags and clutches designed to make it easy to celebrate hands-free, she mostly had her friends — and their partying habits — in mind.

A few years down the line, word has spread. Fans all over the U.S. are buying into the Beau & Ro philosophy: that fashion and function can go hand in hand. 

We caught up with Sara to ask about how she’s conquering the world of style with no previous design experience, why she focuses on repeat customers above all others and what's next for her growing business.

Name: Sara Rossi

Business: Beau & Ro Bag Company

Started: December 2013

How did you create your awesome job?

I designed my first clutch-to-belt bag in 2013 after years of wishing I had a way to tie my tote around my waist at concerts or in bars when out dancing with friends. After seeing so many of my friends’ possessions get stolen, I thought there had to be a better way for women to free up their hands without leaving their bags on the floor.

I don’t have a design background, but I live in the Garment District of New York City, so I have easy access to amazing materials and manufacturers. This really helped me when I was putting pen to paper in the beginning because it showed me what my options were. 

The core idea behind all of my products is that fashion and function can be combined. Everything I’ve ever produced has a practical element, allowing women to free up their hands while still wearing something attractive.

Who was your very first customer?

When I had my first samples made, I hosted a launch party for friends and family. Everyone there bought one of the sample bags. I launched online on the same day, and got my first orders just a few days after. 

While my design was meant to be a party bag for young women, it soon became clear that it had wider appeal. Women were buying it for traveling, walking the dog, sailing, biking, playing golf and so many other activities I hadn’t even considered, which really changed the direction of my company.

2 sara_rossi_4.jpg

When did you know your business was going to work?

When I started seeing repeat customers, I knew I was on to something good. Thankfully, many of my customers come back for more. 

After trying their first Beau & Ro bag, they really embrace our ethos and become brand ambassadors. They spread the word among friends and plan to buy more bags for other occasions. 

Everything I do is focused on getting repeat business, so I add new styles regularly and spread the message about new launches via Instagram to my dedicated followers.

What has been the biggest surprise so far after starting your own business?

I really wasn’t expecting the fashion world to be so supportive. I’m opening a 1,800-square-foot store in Nantucket this year with two other women who run their own companies, Milicent Armstrong of Artemis Design Co and Taylor Ivey from Ellsworth & Ivey, which I never thought I’d be able to do! 

We’re turning it into a collaborative space, so we’re asking other brands and entrepreneurs to join us. There are so many young people launching fresh, fun and different companies, and it’s great to be able to collaborate with them and share ideas.

3 sara_rossi_2.jpg

How do you price your products?

Despite studying business at Boston College, I knew nothing about pricing at the start. 

After some shameless Googling, I found out that fashion retail pricing works on a markup of four times the original cost, while wholesale is multiplied by two. I stay true to this for the most part, but cut into my profit a little for lines that require more work or use a lot of expensive materials. 

Most of my bags sit at around the $150 price point, which isn’t so high that people won’t be able to come back for a second one.

What does a typical day look like for you?

Beau & Ro is still a part-time job for me. I work full time as the Associate Marketing Director at Traditional Home Magazine, so I run my company after work and on the weekends. 

Typical tasks include designing the next line of products, working with my producer to plan photoshoots and responding to customer enquiries. 

A lot of my energy is going into the Nantucket store right now, which means reaching out to other brands to bring them on board. Once we launch, I’ll be at the store most weekends, but we’re going to employ sales staff and a manager to keep it running. 

I’ve got no plans to go full-time quite yet. I like the balance, and it’s great to be able to put all the money Beau & Ro makes back into the business so I can keep growing it.

If you could go back in time, what’s the one thing you would do differently when starting your business?

When I was just about to launch, a friend of mine gave me the book The Lean Startup, which taught me how to keep momentum going forward until I hit a roadblock, then to pivot and keep moving ahead again. 

When I first launched, zipper issues kept me awake at night and I found out that the light-colored linings in the bags got too dirty to be practical. But I fixed the issues, responded with good customer service and kept the company on track. 

I really believe it’s this positive attitude that has helped Beau & Ro come such a long way in a short period of time.

What would you like to learn today from a community of other small business owners and self-employed professionals?

I’d love to know if anyone else has recommendations on how to break into the sales rep circuit. 

I have two sales reps now in different regions, but there aren’t a ton of resources out there about connecting with the ideal people to represent my brand. 

If anyone has any tips on resources or best practices that they could share, that would be wonderful!

Tell us! Do *you* have tips for Sarah that will help her find the right people who can represent her brand far and wide?

Calling expansion experts! How do *you* think Sara can find the best people that will help her take her company forward? What should she look out for when hiring sales reps? 

Share your own experiences and ideas in the comments below. :-)

Need to get in touch?

Contact us